Jay has started up a new podcast called Gamers Lounge (check it out over here if you haven’t already) and in the first couple episodes, they were touching on sportsmanship and what it means to them. This is a topic that’s come up over and over almost everywhere in gaming. Poll ten different gamers and you’ll get ten different answers. There are a lot of variations to what sportsmanship means to people. Some people think backing off a player when you’ve clearly won the game is good sportsmanship, because you’re not crushing a player who’s been beaten down already, and others think it’s poor sportsmanship, because you’re essentially telling the other player that they’re not worth your effort. Some people think there’s a difference between sportsmanship in a friendly game and sportsmanship in a tournament game. It’s a subject with a lot of variation in it, and I thought I’d offer some of my thoughts on sportsmanship. I reserve the right to change my mind on any of these points, though, if a better argument comes along for them.
In thinking over sportsmanship, I came up with five different topics I wanted to mention. These are, of course, my opinions and you are more than welcome to disagree. You’d be wrong, but you’re welcome to it. If you do disagree, comment why. I’m interested to hear counterpoints too.
So, on to the five topics:
Fairness – A good sportsman should be fair. This is probably the most black-and-white of the topics. Don’t cheat. Answer your opponent’s questions honestly. Don’t hide information from your opponent. Now, I’m not saying that you should let your opponent know the trap you set for them, or try to psych them out with comments throughout the game – that’s all part of the battle – but if your opponent asks you what the rules are for your model, tell them. If they need to know how much damage you have, tell them. Don’t hide any information from them. But it doesn’t mean you have to volunteer all information to them if they’re not looking for it (though there are some exceptions which I’ll talk about in a second).
Courtesy – This can probably be summed up as “be nice.” Shake your opponent’s hand at the beginning of the game if you don’t know them (and sometimes even if you know them). Introduce yourself. Give your opponent the benefit of the doubt, unless your opponent demonstrates that he’s trying to take advantage of that. Take-backs? Volunteering information? That is a little more sticky. Personally, I allow take-backs and I do volunteer information, especially to players who have not faced my models before, or who are new to the game. If I allow a take-back and my opponent does not, I’ll know next time not to. But going along with giving someone the benefit of the doubt, I’ll give them that first one if they have not already refused me one. But here’s one of the kickers: I won’t see it as poor sportsmanship on my opponent’s side if he does not volunteer information I did not ask for, or does not allow me a take-back. To me, those are “above and beyond” behaviors. Mostly I try to match my opponent’s willingness to go above and beyond. If he gives take-backs, I will do so. If not, I’ll stop giving them to him. No harm, no foul.
Good Temper – Don’t throw your dice. Don’t curse your models. Don’t belittle your opponent. Don’t knock down models. Keep your anger in check, and don’t let it get the better of you. In the end, it is just a game, and not worth ruining yours or someone else’s experience over it.
Cheerful Loser/Gracious Winner – This can be one of the hardest parts of the game. When the game is over, if you lost, shake your opponent’s hand and congratulate them on a good game. It’s hard, but keep a smile on your face, comment on how they played well, and if you want, add in a few, “If only XYZ happened, it would have been a totally different game!” But recognize that your opponent just won, and likely won fairly. Don’t take away his victory by being a sore loser. The flip side is also true. If you win, shake your opponent’s hand and congratulate them on a game hard-fought. Don’t gloat. This is probably a person you will want to play again in the future. As the victor, you should take your cue from the loser. If he wants to talk about the game, feel free to dive in. If he wants to wash it to the past, don’t press him to talk about how you beat him.
Striving Spirit – I added this one in at the end because it’s one of my pet peeves about games. When you’re losing, finish the game (unless your opponent is a total tool, then it’s fine to pack up and get gone). Especially if this is someone who is a regular opponent. I’ll come up with a new strategy, test it, start winning and get great position, and my opponent will say, “Okay, I concede.” Which completely ruins my enjoyment of the game. When you’re winning, you want to win. In a bad spot, continue the game. Your opponent may well win anyway, but if you quit, all you’re doing is depriving him of his rightly-earned victory. Besides, who knows what could happen in the long run? I’ve played a few games where I’ve been in a terrible spot and managed to steal a victory away from someone else. I’ve also been in a few games where I convinced someone to keep playing when they were ready to concede and they ended up beating me. It happens frequently enough for people to realize that an early strong position doesn’t automatically mean a victory in the end.
Anywho, those are some of my thoughts on sportsmanship. Agree? Disagree? Comment about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh so many comments to make. Mostly i completely agree with you.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to add in something. This has happened to me more than once. Its in regards to the pulling back on the reigns on an opponent your soundly beating. I've been on the stronger side of these games in the past and seen my opponents face (or heard him complain) as the game gets worse and worse for him. I start to feel bad for him and then pull up. Well damn it i've lost several games because of that decision. Thats why lately I've fought every game to the bitter end no matter what. In FSA i was crushing until a crazy shot blew up my battleship in a single hit, lost. In Warmachine I was winning so bad I pulled back only to have an unlikely caster kill cost me. In L5R i was crushing an Honor deck and attacked before I was ready so my opponent would stop complaining about how he couldn't get enough people. Lost that one. NEVER pull back when Victory isn't assured. If your playing FSA and your opponent goes into full retreat shunts etc, sure pull back, you win. If you have all objectives held tight and your opponent retreats to his deployment zone licking his wounds sure. But games go 6+ turns play every damn one of them.
I agree with you on the whole "pulling back" thing. I can understand moving into a conservative "preserve the win" mode rather than aggressive take more victory points mode, but don't let up on an opponent. I've had people let up on me in the past and made them pay for it. Tying in with Striving Spirit, I would expect that, even losing, my opponent will be looking for a way to steal a victory out of my grasp. Usually I'm trying to do the same to my opponent when I'm losing.
ReplyDeleteOne more
ReplyDeleteMy counter to the striving spirit is that when time is an issue, calling a lop-sided game early can allow you a second game.
BUT: "If you've got a 1/2 hour left and no time for another game, it's kinda lame to say, "Okay, I quit" and then just sit around doing nothing for 30 minutes instead." -Mike
Yeah, I agree with your caveat there, Dan. If you're planning on getting another game in, say to your opponent, "You've got this one. Want to reset and try again since we have time for another game?" But if you're just going to quit and pack up, that's cheating your opponent out of the game they wanted to play.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I wanted to comment on pulling back on a player you're beating. I'm not saying that you should go all-out to beat them. Let's say, for example, you're playing in a tournament and you've found one awesome combination that could crush anyone. If you're already beating your opponent, you shouldn't have to pull out that move, because it actually hinders your ability to win later on down the road when facing someone else who may have seen your move earlier.
Okay, I want to comment on your 5th point, ending the game early, well really both your 4th and 5th points.
ReplyDeleteSo your 4th Point, being a good sport when winning and losing. This is something I have a hard time with. I find it nearly impossible to continue enjoying a game when things are looking grim for my army. One of the skills I am working on but I am no where near mastering is cheering for my opponent when they are doing well or something cool happens for them. I don't know, when it come to playing maybe there is just something in me that stops me from being able to root for the other team.
That said, ending a game early is something I have been known to do. The reason I do it isn't because I am a poor sport and don't want to finish the game, I do it because I know in my heart of hearts I have a tendency to act inappropriately or very negatively when losing bad and I would rather end my game then put my opponent through that and leave a bad impression.
Something I need to work on I know but a fact of life at least for the time being.
Yeah the anger portion kinda spoke to me, and Liek you said its something I need to work on. But damn it! I'm irish and have red hair, my temper is supossed to be short! In all honesty though I get embarrased by my temper when gaming. Often times after I lose an annoying game I'll take a step away and then come back after i cooled off. it may not be a best sportsmanship, but its better than the alternative
ReplyDeleteI don't know of anyone (myself included) who meets all of these criteria all the time. I see them as an ideal to work towards. If I find myself feeling negative about a game, I tend to express it - everyone does. What I try to do now, though, is recognize what it is I'm doing and change my behavior. It's not something that comes naturally to anyone. I think everyone needs to work at it constantly. The first step is recognizing where your weaknesses are. For myself, I'm a clear example of the: "If I won, it's because I'm awesome, and if I lose, it's because my dice sucked" kind of player. I'm working on it. I fail to keep that in check pretty often. But I keep trying at it.
ReplyDeleteI think it comes down to taking that first step - recognizing what I'm doing WHEN I'M DOING IT. Sometimes I'm blind to it until after I walk away and cool down. If I can reognize it when it's happening, that's the first step to fixing the problem as it occurs.