Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kid in a Candy Store

Over this past weekend while up at Eric's place, he took Laura and me to a heavenly spot called the butcher's shop. I'd never been to an actual butcher's shop before, but it was amazing! It was a tiny hole-in-the-wall place where you walk back to the back and two guys are sitting there with massive knives just chopping up meat. You tell them what they want and they get it for you!

So naturally I was paralyzed with consideration. What did I want to order? Fortunately, two other people next to me came up and said, "Three NY Strips, 1" thick." So the butcher went back to the back and came back with a huge piece of cow. He tossed it on a band-saw and sliced off three pieces of 1" thick cow. Heading back to the cutting board, he proceeded to trim the fat until there were three awesome looking steaks.

Well, I just had to have some. So I stepped up and ordered the same thing. Now Laura and I have a couple of NY Strips ready to be cooked when we have a special occassion. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. I need to find a butcher's shop around here.

3 comments:

  1. Has anyone ever tried this one?

    http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-organic-butcher-of-mclean-mclean

    I think it's worth a shot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not, but I have to wonder at you failing to ask for the ultimate in steak, filet mignon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't want to pay that much. :)

    ReplyDelete