Every time I try to remember the name of this movie, the first thing that jumps in my head is Percy Harvin. But no, that's not right. To make sure I state it once correctly, here it is:
Percy Harvin & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
Crap. Still couldn't do it.
Anywho, Laura, Anne, Tony and I went out to see this one last night. We were going to see Repo Man, but we got finished with dinner a full hour before we expected (actually, it was right when I expected, but I thought the movie was an hour earlier). So rather than wait around for an hour, we jumped in to see this one instead.
Overall, I was happy with it. I was more impressed with it than I thought I would be. Though this is not to say it was a great movie. It was a fun movie, though, and worth the viewing if you're not looking for something deep or dark or anything like that.
Brief plot: Percy is the son of Poseidon. He can hold his breath a long time. He likes water. Soon, he finds out just who his absent father is. Why? Zeus's lightning has been stolen! And Zeus blames Poseidon for it, saying his son must have done the deed at his behalf. Poseidon has 14 days to set things straight.
Soon everyone is after Percy, figuring that he stole the lightning bolt. Only Percy didn't steal it. So someone else must have. But it's still on Percy's shoulders to save the day.
He heads to a school of likewise demigods that train with their talents and in the journey loses his mother to Hades. Percy could care less about the lightning bolt and instead decides he's going to save his mother. What are the possible odds that these two plots could ever intersect???
Anywho, I won't spoil any more. Overall, a lot of fun. Predictable in many parts, but that didn't bother me. I didn't come in looking to see a massive well-constructed plot. I have other movies for that. I just came in wanting to see a fun, Sky-High-type high school action with mythology elements and modern elements mixed in. For that, it was worth it.
But be warned, Brandon Jackson (who plays Grover) starts to border on Marlon Wayans Dungeons and Dragons level annoyance. He doesn't quite reach it, but he's making a run for it. Despite that, I still enjoyed the flick.
And I couldn't stop thinking about running a game of Scion after I saw it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

If you liked the movie, the books are way better. yes, surprise, I have read them. They are cool, I think better than Harry Potter too, and full of greek mythology.
ReplyDelete