Wednesday, March 17, 2010

FSA: Roleplaying??

So I was listening to one of my podcasts on the way in to work today (Fear the Boot - a great roleplaying podcast) and they had a guest speaker from one of the many Warmachine podcasts out there (the Iron Agenda) and the topic was mixing roleplaying with miniatures games. As they spoke, my mind wandered. Those who know me know that's not an uncommon thing to happen. I started thinking about the current Firestorm Armada campaign game that I am playing with Brian, Jay and Dan. We each have a different faction vying for control of a system. All of us being roleplayers, we keep posting stories, messages, and journals for the various characters we've made up in our fleets.

I started thinking, how interesting would it be to play a roleplaying game in that same system during the same time period. The players would all be natives of the sector from before it became contested by the various powers. The results of the campaign games we play on the table top would influence the background plot that's going on for the players. While they would feel the effects of it, they wouldn't necessarily be fighting against it. Instead, they'd be involved in a typical roleplaying game: villain, bad stuff happening, they fight against it, yay! But if they have to chase the villain to a nearby system, the faction that controls that system would control it in the roleplaying game, and that would dictate a lot of how the encounters would go. Would it be an Aquan-controlled system and open to free and good people, or would it be a Dindrenzi-controlled system, clamped down and under iron fisted rule?

I think I'd use the d6 Star Wars game for the system, though I'd ditch all the Jedi stuff, and most of the races in favor of the FSA fluff. The system's suitably heroic for a space opera type game. Who knows? Maybe it'll never launch, or maybe it'll go over great. But it's a fun thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment