Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Malifaux Game

I got a quick game of Malifaux in against Dan. We played 30 stones each, and I pulled up Pandora for the first time, giving her a try.

Pandora
Sorrow x2
Baby Kade
Candy
Teddy

Dan brought McMourning back to the forefront and put out a huge list.

McMourning
Zombie Chihuahua
Canine Remains x3
Punk Zombie x2
Sebastian, Morgue Assistant
Convict Gunslinger

For missions, I picked up the Quarters one (which made me groan, having only six models to pick up four quarters with) and called Bodyguard and Kidnap as my two subplots. Dan picked up Assassinate and called Bodyguard and Army of the Dead as his.

During the course of the game, Dan got two additional Flesh Constructs. McMourning's ability to constantly summon 7 additional points of models to the field is just annoying. Flesh Constructs are no slouches, and when I'm already down by 3 models before the game starts and he adds two more, I'm already in a world of hurt.

Anywho, here's the board we set up.

We went with the big tree in the middle and put some buildings around it. My main goal in the game was to see what Pandora was capable, so instead of playing a "chase" game like I probably should have, I went after his army. Pandora is deceptively fast. Her ability to push 4" after any failed Willpower duel had her trucking across the board as she tagged her own and enemy models with Incite.


She started tagging everyone in 12" of her for a point of damage each, and then started using Self Loathing to smack down anyone getting close to her. I know I probably wasn't using her to her fullest extent, but she was still rocking everyone, forcing people to flee, doing damage to them, and generally being a control-caster to the Nth degree. I know she's said to be one of the hardest to get the hang of, but I didn't really find her that difficult. She almost played herself. Given that in my first game with her, I was able to take Dan down to McMourning and a Flesh Construct, I'd say it wasn't too shabby. Zoraida was much more difficult to figure out.

Anywho, the game kept going with me dropping most of his guys to one or two life left before they even reached combat, and then picking them off with anything else I had around.

After getting over the initial shock of Pandora's craziness, Dan started working on the best way to win: I can't hold four corners if I don't have four people. By the end of the game, I was down to Pandora alone. He wasn't able to pick her off, but nor was I able to get any corners. It came to secondary objectives and he had achieved both of his while I achieved only one of mine.

We did play one thing wrong - Pandora's got an ability called Self Loathing that lets her basically make someone hit themselves with their weapon. McMourning has an ability that lets him heal as much as he hits, so we ruled that McMourning would never take damage from the hit. In checking the rules forum, though, it turns out that Pandora could use Self Loathing on him, since it's the spell that was doing the damage. Now we know for next time...

2 comments:

  1. Great game, glad the Ressers finally beat your Neverborne. Did you notice the victory margin was due to 0 hidden objectives? I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup - that's a really good point.

    Realizing how fast Pandora can be, I'm kinda thinking about sending her to the "claim a building" kind of missions and near the end, book it for the building I need. Even with you having only two models in play, I was still able to move 18" on my last turn. Not too shabby.

    ReplyDelete