Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Work Exists

Sometimes that's frustrating.

Take today, for example. I came in to the office today, excited because all my hard work over the weekend (lost the majority of Sunday to work) meant I should have a pretty easy rest of the week. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Oh, quick aside - I'm listening to the soundtrack to Book of Eli. Creepy music. Great movie. I'll try to talk more about it later. I was going to blog about it the day after I saw it, but I decided I couldn't say I wasn't all that religious and then have my first two posts be about religion.

Back to the story. So I come in to the office, ready with a new topic to post about (Legion MKII, for those who are curious), but as soon as I got in, I found two waiting emails. The first referred to an employee who was not listed right. I did some research - nope, the employee was listed right. The second was referring to 95 employees who were not mapped correctly in the hierarchy. I checked. Sure enough, they could be marked wrong, but when given the option to look over things earlier, they didn't.

Long story short, I am now having to rush around and make a bunch of changes to the data because employees did not look over their data earlier when we requested. Now that the data is due, they want everything correct immediately. Which means I have a lot to do, and means I can't go over Legion today. Maybe tomorrow... though I may have to talk about LOST instead. We'll see...

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to corporate America, but you knew that. Now that things have been publicly announce as of 1/18 that the parent company (the Campania Group) of the company I work for (Campmed Casualty & Indemnity Company, Inc of Maryland) is being purchased by Hanover Insurance Company my job has become crazy busy.

    On 1/21 the CEO, VP of Operations, and the VP of Campmed all came to me and my Director and asked how quickly we could get filed for one of our programs in all 50 states. Now, the fact that we are only admitted in 22 didn't seem to matter at all. I should mention State Admission takes between 3 and 6 months to complete per state, and fillings take about 40 hours to prepare and submit and then approval takes 1 to 3 months minimum, depending on the state. So long story short it will probably take us the rest of the year to get into the majority of the country but probably June 2011 to be everywhere, unless they hire a bunch more staff.

    Then they tell us oh yeah, we may be changing the program around some, so you will need to refile in the 14 states you are already filed in, sigh. So last week I spent Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday preparing what I could of the filings for the 8 states we are admitted to but not filed in. I walked into work Thursday to discover that plan had changed, and that I was supposed to research 8 other states we were going to try to file in with out admittance as part of a Purchasing Group. So I get that done over Thursday, Friday, and Monday.

    Then Tuesday rolls around and the plan changes again. It seems things were not investigated fully and of the 8 I researched, only 4 are eligible and of the 4, all need for us to restructure the purchasing group and obtain registered agents with each of the states that are going to be the ones selling the policies, so that goes on hold.

    So I come into work today and there is word we will finally have some direction on what is going to change in the program and where we need to file first, but then as usual not all the parties agree on what the priorities are and things have devolved into we will tell you tomorrow, sigh.

    Seems like the plan changes every 3 days around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was longer then I intended

    ReplyDelete
  3. When anything like that happens to me at work, I just have to breathe and remember that they are essentially paying me to do what they tell me to do. If they choose to pay me to work inefficiently, I will accept their money and work innefficiently. It's easier to deal with when it's broken down like that.

    ReplyDelete