Friday, February 5, 2010

Firestorm: Armada Campaign

Since I started looking over the rules and playing Firestorm: Armada, the new space fleet combat game from Spartan Games, I've wanted to play with scenarios. Maybe it's all the times I've seen space combat that has an actual purpose (taking down the Deathstar, fighting to get out of Ragnok Station and away from the Cylons, etc.) I've wanted to play space combat games that had a purpose. Not just a fleet encounters another one and they fight, but I wanted to see fleets running blockades, or on convoy duty, or trying to assault planets.

Which is pretty strange. My favorite miniatures game, Warmachine, has a bunch of scenarios, and I dislike playing with them. I prefer to toss my army out there and fight with it.

But with Firestorm: Armada, I want the story that links together. Trying to wrest control of systems away from evil-doers (unless I'm the evil-doer, than I want to wrest control from those do-gooders).

So I started looking up online for space-based campaign guides. I had played Battlefleet Gothic before, so I started there. I found a great campaign guide with a little effort and spent the day converting the rules over to Firestorm: Armada style. Now to get the game started...

2 comments:

  1. I'm vague interested. Have you chosen a faction yet? Has Brian? Once you do let me know and I look at what is left and pick something. I watched part of an intro game at DW last night, seemed cool. Would love to run through a game sometime with you or dan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up Dindrenzi - I don't think Brian's settled on anyone yet. We'll have to get a game in soon. I can send you the rules to the campaign too. Nice thing about it is that it doesn't require everyone to play equal number of games. People can play as they are able.

    ReplyDelete