This morning I'm on the computer and just checking the news before I make my lunch and head out the door when my cell phone rings. No one normally calls me this early in the day, so I'm a little worried. The name flashes across the screen saying it's my mother. So I pick up the phone.
"Hello?"
There's a long pause. My mother is up at my brother's house. He lives tucked back in Pennsylvania, and I know my mother's phone doesn't have great reception. I wait a minute.
"Hello?" I ask again.
"Hello," a tiny voice comes back, clearly not my mother. It's got to be Nicholas or Mary Kate, my nephew and niece. Natalie would have a bit more to say.
"Hey there," I say, and start chatting. The conversation is pretty vacant on the other end of the phone, usually with only one word answers. "Is Nana around?" "Yeah." "Can I talk to her?" A long pause, then a "No." So I chat with my niece/nephew. "Did you get to play in the snow?" "Yeah." "That must have been a lot of fun." "No."
Eventually, my niece/nephew bored of the conversation, set the phone down, and walked away. I hung up and headed for work with a smile on my face. I'm sure my mom will eventually find her phone on the floor at my brother's house and wonder why it was left there, and whether the kids managed to call anyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awesome. A first taste of technology... How much longer till your Niece/Nephew want their own phone?
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm sure they already do. They love playing with technology stuff and pretending to be on the phone. When I'm at the house with them, sometimes they take my mom's phone and call me from a different room. It's pretty funny.
ReplyDelete