Monday, February 15, 2010

The Wolfman

Laura and I went out to see The Wolfman last night in the theaters (very romantic). It's the new Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins and Hugo Weaving movie about the werewolf story. It takes place in England just before the 1900s.

The movie looked stunning. It had the creepy outdoors feeling down, and the blue-washed colors kept it feeling cold and dangerous. The mansion, with its complete lack of tidiness, plus the miles of massive trees looked amazing. I was hooked early on.

But the movie pretty quickly turned from the horror movie I was hoping for into a movie entirely about guts and things jumping out unseen with loud noises accompanying them. There wasn't the frightening anticipation of what the wolfman is doing, because you see him in action so early. The actions of the creature didn't even seem to make sense - they weren't all that animalistic or anything. It just seemed like "scare people with missing limbs and torn bodies." Which doesn't really work when it happens to everyone.

In the end, I walked away very disappointed with this movie. The "twist" was telegraphed from the beginning. The ending didn't really make sense. The main female character's motivations were suspect at best. And it wasn't all that frightening.

I think if I want to see a good movie about a beast, I'm going to have to stick with Brotherhood of the Wolf for now. Though I'd love to see a good - and frightening - werewolf film come up at some point.

1 comment:

  1. Carrie and I went and saw the Lightning Thief. It was entertaining, but edited to the point that it felt like they had no intention of making the other 4 books. But a fun movie.

    ReplyDelete