Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I Need a Camera

I've had two points in the last couple weeks where I wanted to take pictures of something to post on my blog here, but because I don't have a camera, I can't do it. Well, I do have a camera, but I don't have the cords to get the pictures to my computer. And neither does Best Buy, that I could tell.

The first was a while ago when all the snow was going on. My lovely fiance was kind enough to paint up my entire Firestorm Armada fleet. They look awesome. Twenty Dindrenzi ships, all painted, all ready to hit the table and take down the enemy.

The second was just yesterday. At the behest of Craig from the d6 Generation (a great podcast that I recommend to all if you're interested in gaming), I started creating old west-style buildings for terrain for my wargames. They turned out to be remarkably easy. Over the course of the weekend, I finished the frames of two buildings, both of them table ready. I need to do the interior of both and then paint them up, but they look good enough to hit the table. I'd love to be able to show them off (they're not shabby for my first attempts), but again, no camera.

With this new terrain I built, I got in another game of Malifaux against Dan recently. He pulled up his Seamus box. I wanted to play the hag, but she's got a lot of anti-willpower spells and Seamus' undead hookers don't seem to care about willpower. Instead I went with Lilith again. Dan wanted to try out a game against her and see how he could fair, and I figured it would probably be a good thing for me to try a game where I'm running my list solo (since Dan helped me a lot last time around).

We set the board terrain-heavy. I pulled out some Legion of Everblight models to proxy as my Malifaux crew. The first turn, I launched my Mature Nephlim on top of a building and I ran Lilith into a building and had her hide behind one of the walls. Why? Because I could with the new terrain. I don't think it game me a tactical advantage whatsoever, but it was fun. Dan moved up, and in the second turn, things really started. My Mature Nephlim flew down into the forest Lilith had put up and killed Dan's unique hooker. I was able to stop almost all the lures he kept trying by cheating with a pretty solid hand (two Kings, a Queen and a Jack in the hand for the second turn). He was able to drop my Mature Nephlim to 1 life, but it took almost everything he had to do it. Lilith rushed out and chopped at a Belle, but didn't kill it (8 wounds is rough!).

The next turn, things turned against me. My Mature Nephlim was killed and a new Belle had been resurrected. I was in a bad way and knew I had to kill Seamus if I wanted to win (it was also my mission, thankfully!). Lilith moved out of combat and into combat with Seamus after the mad hatter had already gone. She chopped him down by about 5 life (he used a few stones to soak the damage), but still had a ways to go. Meanwhile, one of my Tots fed off a blood counter and became a Younger Nephlim, ready to move in and fight. The next go around, I won initiative and activated Lilith to go before Seamus got a chance. Hit him with the first strike and flipped the Red Joker for damage, which meant I got to flip another damage flip. A Queen, meaning I got Seamus for a massive 12 damage. He wasn't able to knock the damage down enough and was dropped to one life (damn Hard to Kill). My next attack hit but got the Black Joker for damage, so nothing. My last attack finished him, though.

From there, it was a bit of clean-up. The Belle's lost their big hitter, and without being able to make more, I could concentrate where I wanted. I was able to raise another Younger Nephlim and then raise one of them to a Mature Nephlim before I finished off Dan's last Belle.

Still not sure I like the cards in Malifaux, but they're growing on me. Having the hand does mitigate some of the luck factor, but there's still a lot of luck in the cards too. I've ordered the book and a deck of cards, as well as the hag's box and the voodoo doll, but we'll see how long it takes to arrive. All in all, I think I'll enjoy this game, though a large part of that may be all the cool terrain we're making for it. Fighting in a saloon just sounds like fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment