Thursday, February 25, 2010

My New Hobby

I don't like to paint models. I tried it back in the day when I was in high school on my Britonian army, but was heavily criticized for my attempts, and the memory stuck with me. I've never felt like I wanted to paint since then. I love the idea of a fully painted army, but it's never been a part of the hobby I ever really wanted to try again. Generally I seek out others who enjoy painting more and see if I can enlist their help in painting my armies. Early in my Warmachine lifetime, Jay painted a lot of what I had. More recently, Chris has done a significant amount of painting for me, nearly finishing off my Cygnar army and working on my Legion beasts. My fiance also loves to paint and has been working on my Legion troops and was generous enough to paint my entire Dindrenzi army as well as almost all of my Warmachine terrain.

Fast-forward to a few weeks ago. I was listening to a podcast, the d6 Generation (which, if you don't listen to and like gaming, I strongly recommend you start), and one of the hosts gave a quick audio tutorial on how to create wild west style buildings. I figured it sounded fun and I should give it a try. I think I'm much more interested in building things than I am in painting already made things.

Here are my first attempts. I've already learned a lot in the six days I've been building terrain. So far I have three buildings crafted, one in the process of, and a gallows set up. Not too bad for a newbie, I figure. Not great work, but passable, and a lot of fun to do. Take a look for yourself.









This is the first building I put together. I didn't really have a concept for what it was going to be. I assume perhaps a post office, or maybe a school house. Haven't really decided yet. Once I finished that one, though, I thought I should try something bigger.





Pretty sweet. I really like the balcony. A 30mm model will fit on it pretty easily. I figure this will be a good saloon. After that, I pulled together the scraps of materials I had left and built another building.



I have no idea what it is. But there it is. Finally, I decided I wanted to make a gallows to put somewhere in the square.



I'm not too happy with the brace around the top. It's pretty tall - almost as tall as a two-story building. So I think I'll have to cut it off and get some smaller materials to make something more appropriate. That'll be a project for the weekend, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment