Thursday, July 29, 2010

Return of Malifaux

GenCon is next week, and the craze for all things new in gaming is ramping up. I had been out of the game for a little while, mostly because my house issues were preventing me from getting to much else. But now that the house is nearly finished back up, I've been able to get a couple of games in this week.

First, I played a game against Josh on Monday. We took 30 stones each and he took the Viktoria list he's hoping to play at GenCon (Vikis, two Ronin, Convict, woman with hammer), and I took a new bend on an Old Hag list (Zoraida, three Tots, three Slurids, and the Convict Gunslinger). I usually favor fewer models in games I play, but I thought it would be a fun try.

Well, I paid for my mistake of a list. Not a single one of my Leaps succeeded the entire game with my Slurids (unless I cheated from my hand), none of my Tots were able to rely on their high defense to keep hidden from attacks, and my Obeys were constantly thwarted by the woman with the hammer. In the end, I killed only one model of Josh's before my faction got wiped out. A pretty pathetic showing.

My second game was yesterday against Dan, and went a little better for me. I brought out Lilith (first time I played her since she was painted up by Chris), and she ran around with two Tots, two Younger Nephilim, a Daddy Nephilim, and the Primordial Magic to keep my hand advantage going. Dan had Seamus, a Belle, two Punk Zombies, the Copycat Killer, the Convict Gunslinger, and Mortimer (or whatever he's called). I was able to take the middle of the board pretty quickly with my speed, and Lilith killed the Copycat Killer before he got a chance to shoot. One of my Tots used that blood to turn into a Younger Nephilim while Seamus summoned another Belle. My three Younger Nephilims swarmed into the middle of his group and started hacking into his models, their black blood taking care of the rest of the damage. When my Mature Nephilim popped in and did a lot of damage, he ended up getting taken down by one of the Punks. A Younger matured and replaced the lost Daddy, and my Tot matured into a Younger. From there, it was cleanup. I concentrated on everything that wasn't a Belle, taking out his major melee hitting power. He had a shot on Lilith, flipping a crow and hitting her, to which I had to ditch two cards, two stones, or die. So I ditched the cards. He hit me again with a crow, my defense not stepping in to save me, so I ditched two of my last three stones. He hit me with his third (and last) attack of the turn with a crow and I used my last stone hoping for a good flip to avoid being killed. I managed to flip an 11 and stepped out of the way of the attack. Lilith then killed Seamus, though the Mature would have finished the job if necessary.

So a big loss and a big win. It was fun to get back into the game again, though. It's been a while. Next step: get my painting back up and finish up the few models I've got sitting on my bench. After all, I'll have a pretty big newbie in a couple weeks that will need some loving.


As a random aside, does anyone know what the big thing Privateer Press is doing this year for GenCon? The Hordes MK2 book was just released (I assume so that Hordes players won't be at as much a disadvantage in the tournaments). What's the next big thing? The Skorne book, I guess? If that's the case, then between Retribution last year and Skorne this year, it's a pretty un-inspiring couple of years.

2 comments:

  1. Skorne Book is coming out and along with it an Extreme Titan (looks cool from some angels, silly from others), it is almost twice as all as the regular one.

    Any chance you would be interested in getting in a game or two of Malifaux next week? I'm currently working on my Victorias Outcast Crew with Resurrections to come after that (not enough assembled to play right now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I'd be up for a few games. Drop me an email and we'll set something up.

    ReplyDelete