Thursday, July 1, 2010

Comic: A God Somewhere

After the first review I did for Empire, I decided I might try to review a few more comics as I read them.



A God Somewhere was recommended to me by another website as another good, non-standard-superhero tale. This story is, essentially, about a young man, his best friend, his brother and sister-in-law. The young man is in a horrible accident and becomes a super-powered man. He can fly, shrug off bullets, summon feats of massive strength, etc. All good stuff.

The story follows the other three characters primarily, and generally focuses on the hero's best friend and how he takes his friend's changes. The hero starts by saving people and helping people, but slowly the power of who he is corrupts him. He starts to see himself as a god above people, able to do whatever he likes. The friend tries to balance the horror that has happened with the fact that he still feels for his friend as tragedy upon tragedy compile.

Overall, I thought the story was good. Not great, but good. It's one I would read again, but it would not make it onto my stack of best comics I love reading again and again. I felt like the story rushed some key parts. It was at its best when it was delving into the philosophy of what it would be to be the only superhero in the world while everyone else was "just" human, but as the story went on, those parts were farther and farther apart. I was disappointed with some of the predictable nature of the plot. I really didn't feel like the story surprised me at any particular point, but it was fun to read how it all worked out.

In short, it's no Empire, and no Midnight Nation, and won't earn a place on the shelf next to them, but it is worth the read and I'm glad I picked it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment