
I know most of the people who read this (of which there aren't many, mind you) don't watch LOST, so I won't spoil it. But last night was the series finale, and man, did it deliver! The show ended as it began, focused on the characters and their interactions. The reveals were sometimes telegraphed from episodes prior, and sometimes caught me completely off-guard, but always satisfied me. I went in to the episode with two or three mysteries I felt they had to reveal in order for me to be satisfied with the story, but when the final "LOST" appeared on the screen, I realised that it didn't matter as much as I thought it would. Focusing on them drew your attention away from the real point of the story.
Doesn't mean I'm not still curious about a lot of the story. They've already announced they're going to spell out the answers to some of the major theories in an "extras" on the DVD, but to take focus away from the story that was being told and explain some of the mysteries would have flown in the face of what the show's about. You don't know why everything happens in life.
Even in the end of the show, I'm still debating with friends about what it all meant. There's no debate on what happens in the end, it's all in the details of how they got there. As they say, the journey was the point.
Thanks for six great years of television and frustrating (and enjoyable) debate, LOST!

Wow, you are the only Lost fan that I have talked to so far that like the ending. Most feel dejected and like they wasted their time on the 150+ hours of the show.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed it. Now that it is done I will probably wait till Season 6 is out on DVD and sit down and watch it from start to finish over a month or so or something.
I liked it. The ending made sense to me, and like you said showed how the show was more charcter than plot driven. Carrie wants more, she wants to know what happened next, whereas I'm satisfied as is.
ReplyDeleteI haven't actually talked to a Lost fan who hasn't liked the finale yet. I know they're out there, but all my friends and family who watch it without exception liked how it ended.
ReplyDeleteFor me, it will be a while if there's ever a show like Lost again. It's the only television show that's made me want to watch it as it came out rather than just waiting for the DVDs, and I'm glad I did. Having a week between the episodes and months between the seasons really made people dig deep in the show for answers, and looking back, all the theorizing is where I had the most fun with the show.