Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lilith vs. Victoria(s), 30 Stones



Last night I went by the Parlor to play a game or two of Malifaux. I intended to get a game in against Chris, but timing was not in our favor. I was able to play one of his friends, Tim, though. He plays the Victorias (continuing my trend of only facing one of the three Outcast masters). In our area, she seems a very popular choice. Out of about 10 players last night, three of them were playing Victoria.

We grabbed some really nice city terrain from another guy I met there, John (real nice guy - can't wait to get a game in against him) and played in a city-scape. I flipped Treasure Hunt and he flipped Claim Jump. So we stuck a building in the middle of the map for him to claim and my treasure was sitting right in the middle of the building. Awesome.

I took Lilith, a Mature Nephilim, two Younger Nephilim and two Tots. That left me with a 6 stone cache. Tim took the Vikis, two Ronin, a Convict Gunslinger and Taelor, the massive-hammer girl. That left him with seven stones. Plenty to bring back Viki a time or two. To go with Treasure Hunt, I took Bodyguard and Kidnap while he took Bodyguard and Hold Out. Does anyone ever take anything else (other than the faction-specific ones)? They need new Schemes and Strategies.

I had to deploy first, which was fine with me. I looked over the terrain and decided I had to take the fight to him as fast as possible. If I let him get in the building, my Mature Nephilim (who can't fit through the doorway) would be stuck outside. Plus, I couldn't easily spare a model to run back with the treasure and spend the rest of the game sitting on the sidelines. So my goal was to grab the treasure and kill everything of his in four turns so Lilith could run back with it for the next two turns. Piece of cake, right?

His first action was to activate both Vikis. One moved up and dragged the other one forward. The other one went to ground, then ducked into the building, a couple inches away from the treasure. Holy crap, that sucks!

I went with my Younger Nephilim, flying them up to the building with my first two activations. His models all moved up to right in front of a wall about 4" away from the building. My two Tots moved to the back corners of the building and my Mature Nephilim carried Lilith forward 6". With my last activation, Lilith moved up 6" to the side of the building where another door was, and charged in at Viki. First time I've seen a melee fight start on the first turn. Lilith swung and was able to hit. A moderate damage flip (4) was dropped by a soulstone prevention flip to 2 damage. Not bad for a first blood.

Next turn, he won initiative. Viki was in the doorway so no one else could move in to help him out. He went with Viki first. With three attacks, she ended up burning two more soulstones and I burned one, but Lilith escaped entirely unharmed. Lilith went and, knowing there was an entire force behind Viki, went to ground with her first action, grabbed the treasure with the second, then cut down Viki in the next one, also forcing him to lose another stone. Rather than gaining the blood token, she companioned one of the Younger Nephilim who dove over the house and engaged the Convict Gunslinger, cutting off the attack I knew was about to come from the guy. The Younger failed to hit twice, though and the Gunslinger made him pay for it by shooting him in the face a whole lot, killing him. Better him than Lilith, though. My other Younger flew over and did a couple points of damage to the Convict, which, combined with the black blood from the first one set him back to half. My two Tots sprinted in to combat and engaged one of his Ronin and Convict again. Finally, my Mature flew in and nearly killed his other Ronin. Not bad.

Next turn was a lot more killing. My Mature went first and knocked Taelor down to one life (stupid Hard to Kill and me flipping a Black Joker on the second damage flip left her alive). She responded by flipped a Red Joker for damage on my Mature Nephilim, then another severe making a solid 12 damage. Dead Mature. His Convict Gunslinger was knocked down to one life through Young Nephilim attacks and black blood. My Younger Nephilim had two life left. My Terror Tot killed one Ronin while Lilith finished off the second one. No more returning Vikis this game... The other Viki moved up and polished off one of my Tots, leaving me with a Tot, Younger and Lilith against Viki, the Gunslinger and Taelor.

The beginning of the fourth turn started with the Gunslinger shooting the Younger Nephilim after trying and failing to move out of the 1" range of black blood. Both models died. Lilith, now with a clear path, charged Viki and hit. Dropping the Red Joker for cheated damage, then flipping another moderate, he needed to stop 4 points of damage coming his way. Luck was not on his side and Viki bit it. He called the game there since he had a model with one life left and I still had a Tot to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment