Tuesday, April 6, 2010

When Gaming Takes Over

So I'm heading in to work this morning and I come to a two-way stop sign with the cross street having the through traffic. Across from me is a school bus that has the right of way, having reached the stop sign well before I did.

This particular intersection can be annoying in rush hour. Sometimes it takes a while for traffic to ease to the point where you can cross. So a few seconds after I reach the intersection, it clears, and I see that if the bus goes, I can then go after it and have plenty of time to go on. Only the bus isn't moving at all. And I think to myself, "What are you waiting for? You have the initiative!"

The funny part is I know I meant to say, "It's your turn to go," but somehow my brain translated it to gaming terms.

It's not the first time something like that has happened either. When I was watching Fellowship of the Ring the first time, I remember when they were fighting the cave troll and thinking, "The GM clearly set the challenge rating of this fight too high." Which, in an abstract sense, I guess works, but the fact that I would even consider the larger gaming perspective just baffles me.

Another time in college, a friend and I were trying to decide where to go eat for dinner. We had two choices and couldn't decide. So what did we do? We took out an eight-sided die and rolled it to figure out: odds, one place, evens another. Oh, maybe I should mention we were in a crowded mall and decided to cast the die down one of the side paths and took off after it to figure out what our planed eatery was.

What about you guys? Ever have moments where gaming takes over your life for a moment?

1 comment:

  1. I have had a few. My favorite was more of a general nerd moment than a game moment. I was driving home from a friends house one night and it was like 2-3am. I was in my car and I thought, "Man, how cool would be if my car were actually an x-wing." so i started pretending to fly my car... remember its 2am so im pretty tired. Im going 40mph down a road and see a stop sign. I think to my self man is this were an x-wing i would totally blow that sign up. I continued to imagine this as I blew through the stop sign at 40mph. As i passed it I realized what I had done and kinda snapped out of it.

    ReplyDelete