Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lord Chompy Bits Eats Colette

So last night I headed back out to Huzzah Hobbies, the new store out in Sterling. It’s nice to have a game store only five minutes from the house. Makes it pretty easy to head out there. I picked up a couple new paint brushes while I was there, trying to support the place so that it stays in business. They’ve got a nice selection of paints and hobby supplies going, and I put in a special order for the new Colette box when she comes out. Laura liked the look of the Showgirls and was looking forward to painting them.



Anywho, I ended up getting two games in again last night. The first game was against Chris S. Most of the people playing at Huzzah are new to the game and so I’ll usually spend more time teaching them the game than playing the game, but Chris is no newbie to this game. We both got to pull out some pretty fun models to try out. I hit the table with the Dreamer, Lord Chompy Bits, and three Teddies (6 stones remaining). Chris put down Colette, Cassandra, a Performer with its Mannequin, and two Coryphees (6 stones remaining).



So we flipped for our missions. I got Distract and he got Deliver the Message. Great. Both of these missions require maneuverability, which he has a lot better than I do. I have to keep his Master, Colette, from reaching my side of the board by the end of the game, and she can teleport up to 18”. Ouch. And his mission is just to get one of his models to mine and pull of a two-action Interact to give me a message before I kill him. Double ouch. I’ve seen Colette’s crew move. They move FAST!

To add insult to injury, he took the two scenarios for the Archanists meaning he had to Sabotage a building on my side of the board, and he had to reach all four corners during the game. Piece of cake. I knew I couldn’t out-maneuver him, so I took Bodyguard on my big guy, and Grudge meaning I’d have to kill Cassandra as his highest point model.



The only way I could stop Colette from reaching my side of the board was if I killed her. So my goal became killing both Colette and Cassandra, the rest of the mission be damned. He could take all the points he wanted, but if I could kill Colette and kill anyone who got close to me, I should be able to win.

So deploying. He got everyone up on one side of the board where he’d have extra cover running up the board, except one model who started near the other corner. I deployed the Dreamer in the middle of the board. Everyone else began buried.

I won initiative and made him go first. His Performer tagged the side of the board next to him and started heading in to the middle of the board. The Dreamer stepped up to the middle of the board, and then I was done. So everything else in his army moved forward, save one model that tagged the back corner of his board, and Colette, who summoned a Dove as well. He was already half-way to achieving one of his goals, and Cassandra was already more than halfway to my side of the board.

Next turn, he flipped the Red Joker and won initiative, making me go first. I moved the Dreamer as close to Cassandra as I could and raised a single Teddy near her, hoping to catch her in the Terrifying range. I was just out and Cassandra rushed past me, tagging a third corner. Teddy moved back towards Cassandra, trying to pin her down a little, and I was done with activations again. The Coryphee’s moved up, joined into a Duet, and moved up next to the Dreamer. Eep! Colette summoned another Dove and kept one near her while the other started heading out. His Soulstones were still hovering around 4-5, so he was feeling pretty good.

On turn three, he again flipped the Red Joker for initiative. I was scared, but rather than taking the Duet after the Dreamer, he took Cassandra after my Teddy. I cheated a few times to keep him from doing enough to kill me, and Teddy’s Hard to Wound 2 kept him alive with 4 life left. My action, and I activated Teddy. He Regenerated two life and moved around, engaging both Cassandra and the Duet, as well as keeping within 3” of the Dreamer to protect him. Since Cassandra had popped her ability to give me (-) flips on attacks and damage against her, I hit the Duet instead, knocking it down a couple life. The Duet went, but since the Teddy was within 3” and targetable by the Duet, the Duet had to attack Teddy. It took all the strikes it had, and a Soulstone, but the Duet killed Teddy. Noooooo!!!!



Time for revenge. The Dreamer when, summoned the other two Teddy’s between the Duet and turned into Lord Chompy Bits next to the Duet. The Mannequin and Performer came up and tried to Slow some of the new army that just appeared, but failed. Lord Chompy Bits ripped into the Duet, killing it on the third strike that also Calmed it so it turned back into the Dreamer, giving it a little defense. Colette tried to get Cassandra out of the way of two Teddies, but failed, even with a Soulstone. Both Teddies attacked Cassandra, but she burned a couple more Soulstones to prevent me from killing her. As it was, she still took 2-3 damage. Now Colette was down to a single soulstone. Good deal.



On turn four, he won initiative again. Colette activated, dropped two cards for a Soulstone, and successfully pulled Cassandra out of the certain-death spot she had found herself in. The Dreamer went, buried both Teddies, then raised them again further down the field near the Mannequin and Performer, then turned back into Lord Chompy Bits again. The Performer went, trying to slow down the Teddy assault, and managed to pull off Slow on one of them. The Mannequin sacrificed itself to give Cassandra a heal, but only removed one wound. The slow Teddy went and shredded the Performer, who, in her death, gave Colette Reactivate. Colette was sitting a little rough with a half-dead Cassandra, herself, and one Dove left, with only a single Soulstone in her cache. Meanwhile, two nearly-fully-healthy Teddies (one had taken some damage when Cassandra started breathing fire at me) and Lord Chompy Bits stared out across at her. Colette activated and tried to get some defenses going, but with her Soulstones depleted, she was not in a good way. Teddy activated and charged Cassandra, but failed to hit her as Colette used her last Soulstone. Lord Chompy Bits then leapt across a fence (crushed it under his feet, maybe?) and caught the Dove in his claws. I flipped and got a 16. He flipped to a 17, with a 12 as his flip. I weighed back and forth and finally decided to spend my 4th Soulstone (I had used a few to kill off the Duet) in order to kill the Dove.



At that point, Chris conceded. He needed Doves to restart his teleportation tricks, and down to zero Soulstones meant he would have to use all his resources next turn just to summon a Dove, and that would leave Cassandra and Colette a little defenseless against the onrushing Teddies and Lord Chompy Bits. So it turned out that there was another option to how to win the game other than kill Cassandra and Colette: kill everyone but Cassandra and Colette. He had no way to get close enough to my master to deliver him a message (which, I assume, read “Please don’t kill me”), and I had cut him off from both the last corner and the building he wanted to reach. He would have to end up pretty close to my army to try that goal. All in all, a good showing for the Dreamer and his pals.

No comments:

Post a Comment