Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Three Reports from Last Week

Last week, Dan and I got three games of Malifaux in. It’s been a little while since I played them, so I’ll try to remember as much as I can. We were both trying out Masters that we did not use much. There may be a tournament coming up soon and Dan wants to try to use two Archanist masters rather than any of his Ressers. The tourney’s supposed to be for newer players, so better to use Masters you’re not quite as good with. Myself, I don’t think I’ll be playing in that particular tournament, though I’ll be there to watch and cheer on. Schedule permitting, of course.

The first game we played was Rasputina against Pandora. He brought in a few beasts and a few ice creations. I took Pandora with the kids, a Doppelganger, and two Sorrows. I really wanted to fit Teddy into the mix too, but it just didn’t work out right. I ended up a stone short.

The game was pretty rough for me. He had a December’s Acolyte nearby. Since he could one-shot my kids, I had to steer clear of him and divert a little more attention his way. I managed to kill off the Acolyte and Rasputina’s Ice Gamon off pretty quick, but then Rasputina got LOS onto something within 4” of Pandora, launched two spells and won the game with blast markers that bypass Pandora’s defenses. Having lost my Doppelganger and Pandora, I decided it wasn’t worth the effort to continue. My army was pretty slow and he had a full field to blast me apart with.

The second game, I kept the same army and he took on Ramos. This game went quite a bit longer as I was trying a Claim Jump and he was trying to pull away a Treasure. I lost Baby Kade early, but was able to take out Joss and Johan, having learned my lesson from my last game. My Sorrows were falling to his onslaught, but I was able to drop 2-3 damage on things with (0) actions before even sending my Self Loathing spell out. I killed off Spider and Spider, but was still having trouble because Ramos was able to re-activate nearly every turn. Finally I blew up Ramos’ totem and Ramos was stuck with a single activation. I cast a spell on him and triggered him to fall back, and at that point it was over. The Doppelganger, Candy and Pandora pelted the poor old man with spells until he fell over.

The third game was an Archanist on Archanist match. I pulled in Marcus with two Waldgeists, two Silurids and the Cerberus cat while he had Rasputina back out. I took an early lead with getting Cerberus onto his Acolyte on the first turn. It was nearly killed, then nearly killed my cat. Finally a Silurid was able to finish off the Acolyte on turn one. Not bad. On turn two, I sent my Cerberus into his and did a fair amount of damage before mine was finished off. One of my Silurids went up to pound on his Ice Gamon but died as a result. He was coming in a little stronger than I had hoped, but I was far faster than his army. I got Marcus to one side of a building Rasputina was on and used Stare Down on all his beasts giving them all a (-) flip when they could see me. Dan cursed and starting maneuvering them in creative ways to keep them out of LOS from Marcus. Marcus went the next turn and turned himself into a fast-moving machine. He rushed around the building the long way, avoiding the terrain Rasputina cast the turn before, and then knocked her life down a bit. She cast a bunch of spells and brought Marcus down to 3 or 4 life, but was tapped out at that point. Marcus killed her off and was able to get to the last couple beasts and finish them off too. In the end, Marcus had 3 life left when he killed the last Ice Gamon. One less and I would have died too.

All in all, good games. I’m really enjoying Malifaux, though I’m starting to get that FSA itch too. I hope the Heavy Cruisers come out soon. I want to get a few of them and get them on the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment