Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Through the Breach Campaign Idea




I was listening to a podcast, thac0, and they were discussing making pitches for the next roleplaying game they wanted to run.  That got me thinking a bit about what I would want to pitch as my next game.  Given all the excitement around the new Malifaux roleplaying game coming out, and given the fact that it’s not coming out until a ways off so pitching a game for it would not serve to derail me from Legend of the Five Rings (I have a bit of gamer ADD when it comes to roleplaying games), I came up with a Through the Breach campaign I would want to run.

Given that the group I would run the game for includes one person who is very familiar with the Malifaux fluff and feel, two who are somewhat exposed to it, and two who would be brand new to it, I would want to run something where not having a lot of knowledge about the world would not be a hindrance.  Added to that, I would not want to feel shackled by what is already in place in the plot and story.  Very quickly, the idea for my campaign came into focus.


The players would be among the first scouting groups sent through the Breach after it reopened, trying to figure out exactly what happened to the first group.  The Neverborn would be all but unknown, and the group would slowly be introduced to them.  At the same time, the group would be dealing with the Guild moving in and establishing their foothold in the city of Malifaux, one district at a time.

Resserectionists and Archanists would not be established groups yet, but the potential would be there for these characters to become among the first in each of those groups, and their actions would dictate how the Guild reacts to them.  I have images of a character learning about and seeking out the necromantic powers all throughout the city, and of another starting to pull together scouting groups to push off the oppressive yoke of the Guild.  Alternatively, the characters could side with the Guild and put down these uprisings of groups that are trying to move away from organized establishment of a workable society within Malifaux.  All the while, the Neverborn would be a constant threat, trying to push back against the encroaching humans.


Whether this campaign ever got off the ground or was just a pipe dream, I don’t really know.  I’m enjoying L5R far too much to consider dropping it anytime in the near future.  But after the day that story winds its course, is Through the Breach next on the plate?

No comments:

Post a Comment