Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Fantasy Football Championships




This football season, I took part in three different leagues.  I had the fifth year of my local ten-person league with a bunch of friends from around the area.  I took part in the second year of my extended family’s twelve-person football league.  And at the request of my coworkers, I created a ten-person league in my office.

I have to say, overall I’m pleased with my season.  I drafted for my work league first with a number of people who had never played before, and a few veterans.  I was hurt a little by Jamaal Charles’ inconsistent play, and by Hakeem Nicks and Aaron Hernandez taking long breaks for injuries.  LeSean McCoy had trouble meeting his expectations, but Adrian Peterson made up for that.  I finished out the regular season in third place and last week I topped the second place team to head into the finals.  Next week I play against an undefeated team to try to hold the trophy high.


My second draft was for my local league with my buddies.  The previous season I had made it to second place, so I was drafting late in the order.  I took Chris Johnson with my first pick (ugg…) and then wrapped around to get Adrian Peterson with my second (yay!).  I started out slow, taking a 1-2 spot, and then went on a long winning streak to vault into first place behind a number of 120+ point games.  Right around the middle of the season, though, my team fell apart as Vick was injured, I had to trade a starting Receiver to get another QB, Rob Gronkowski broke his arm, and then McGahee became injured too.  Somewhere in there, the Bears lost a few good starters on Defense too.  From there it seemed for a week or two anyone I picked up to count on would be on IR the next week.  I limped through the last four weeks of the regular season putting up a miraculous 2-2 finish (my two wins were for a combined less than two points) and managed to hold on to my first place spot.  I faced my wife in the first round of the playoffs and she defeated me easily, leaving me battling for 3rd place next week.  It’s okay, though.  I have made fourth place in this league every year that I’ve been in it save last year when I managed to crawl to second place.  Now it looks like I’m back to my comfortable position.

The last draft of the year was with my extended family.  We are spread out between Virginia, Delaware, Connecticut, and Vermont, so we drafted online.  I had a chance for Adrian Peterson but felt taking him in all three leagues would be a risk given his questionable health.  Instead I ended up with a decent team led by Tom Brady.  I started out slowly but managed to start putting together a string of wins and by the end of the regular season, I was in fourth place and coming in with a good streak going.  This league let eight players into the playoffs, so it is a three-week affair.  I topped the previous year’s second-place team in the first round while the first and second place teams from this year both lost their opening round game.  The second round I faced off against my mother and while my team did pretty bad, hers did even worse and managed a league-season-low 30-something points.  Now I’m moving in to the finals against my cousin Christian.


Regardless of how it all goes, after this coming weekend, fantasy football will be all done for the year.  Running three teams was a lot of work.  I think ideally I’d play in only one or two leagues in the future, but I don’t think it’ll be easy to drop any of them.  I enjoy the one with my friends too much, and the one with my family helps keep me in touch with them.  The work one would be the odd one out, but I’m pretty sure if I don’t run it, it won’t happen, and then I’ll have some people unhappy with me.

No sense in worrying about that now, though.  I’ve got two Championship games to plan for!

No comments:

Post a Comment