At the beginning of this year, I set up five goals to achieve over the course of the year. Seeing as I'm a week away from the end, I figured it would be good to reflect back on the year and see how I've done.
1. Read 3500 pages.
I thought this would be a simple goal for the year and get me back in the swing of reading. Well, it should have been simple, and while I did achieve it, it really did come down to the wire. The problem I ran into was right around the September-November timeframe. I was starting to run the Legend of the Five Rings roleplaying game at that point and put down all my novels and picked up all my roleplaying books. Since I skipped all around those books and didn't read any of them cover-to-cover, I couldn't really count them.
Still, at the end of the day I achieved this goal, so 1/1 so far.
2. Finish running Scion.
Another successful goal. This one hit a few long breaks in the middle, but I managed to completely tell the story I wanted to tell. In the end of the game, several of the heroes had bargained with the gods to gain their power in order to fight Chronos. I had five players, and of them, three took on the power of the gods. Two were killed in the fight, one ascended to Mount Olympus to replace Ares, who had been killed in an earlier fight with Chronos, and the other two remained mortal and completed the ritual to bind away all the gods and titans remaining on the planet.
The whole goal here was to run my campaigns through to completion. I used to have trouble doing that - getting another great idea for a story well before the one I was telling finished, and from there I just ran out of steam on the older story. It's frustrating, both as a player and as a GM, to go through a story and never really see where it's going to end.
Another success, so 2/2.
3. Limit my purchases to 3 computer games in the year.
I came really close on this one. I had two game purchased heading in to the last quarter, but ended up looking over Dishonored and Skylanders: Giants and finally deciding to buy them both. That put me up to four games on the year, one more than I should have bought. I bought four games during 2011 too. Might just be that's a reasonable number for me to buy - one each quarter.
My first failure. I'm at 2/3 now.
4. Paint and base all Malifaux models before playing them.
Damn GenCon and the Ten Thunders models. All year I had been doing well getting my models painted up and based before playing them. Often I would go out of my way to get through painting my models before playing them - staying up late and working hard on getting them all done. My McHammish crew was finished in less than a week meaning I could get it on the table all painted and ready to go.
But just after GenCon, Dan and I sat down to play a game and I pulled out my Jakob crew, unpainted. I really wanted to give them a try, and they performed well. But that one game (and that's the only game that had unpainted models all year) cost me this goal.
Another failure. A poor 2/4.
5. Actively play no more than two miniatures games at once.
This one was a success. Currently I'm in two miniatures games: Malifaux and Blood Bowl. I did briefly dabble in Warmachine, but only for a day and I never purchased another model for it. Overall, I managed to hold my spending habits on models down to a reasonable level in a single game. I already had Neverborn and most of Ressers by the time the year started, so my gains were just whatever new models were coming out for the factions, plus the three Guild crews I bought into and the one Ten Thunders box.
We're ending on a success, leaving me at 3/5.
I didn't do as well as last year, unfortunately, when I hit four of my five goals. But I didn't do too bad either. One of my misses was because of a single game, and the intent of the goal (get me to paint models and base models I was using) was successful, so I'm okay missing that goal. The other one I missed by a single purchase as well, so I came close on that one too. And I may have been unrealistic in what I was seeking to do.
Anywho, 2012 is rounding an end. Time to come up with some new goals for 2013.
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment