On Tuesday night I headed out to the game store to grab
some Malifaux games. Most times, I have
nothing planned and just grab games where I can. Last night, though, I had two games lined up.
GAME ONE – aRAMOS (SLAZ)
The first was against Slaz, our local Archanist
player. I hadn’t played him since early
this year when I was playing Ressers a lot.
He had beaten me with aRamos and I wanted to get a rematch against
him. So I set my Neverborn aside and dusted
off my Ressers once more for a McMourning vs. aRamos rematch!
I took the Avatar this time – he wasn’t an option last
time I faced aRamos, and since I had Line in the Sand, I opted for a trio of
Night Terrors and the Dead Rider. He
took a fairly standard aRamos list, and kept Johan as a bodyguard. I rarely face Johan, so I was a little fuzzy
on what he did, but I figured he shouldn’t be a big issue.
Things started going poorly for me as I managed to flip a
Black Joker on McMourning’s first turn as he tried to kill off the Canine
Remains. I ended up killing both of
them, but shorted myself some bodyparts doing it. Everything else was looking good though as my
Night Terrors and Dead Rider were flipping my dynamite markers.
On turn two, my Dead Rider grabbed one of his Large SPAs
and yanked him back to the edge of the board to kill him, and my bats were
circling around away from the fighting.
I brought McMourning forward and summoned a Flesh Construct to face off
against Ramos, hopefully putting a few wounds in him before he manifested. Here’s where my lack of understanding of Johan
came in. Johan pasted the Flesh
Construct in three hits. Damn. aRamos manifested.
I got the initiative on turn three and was holding a
decent hand, so I decided to send McMourning after aRamos. I used Scalpel Sling and Slaz cheated in a
moderate Tome, then stoned for a severe putting his defense pretty high. Still, I felt I had a good shot. I tossed a 13 and stoned, needing a 6, and
missed. So McMourning could not actually
attack anything more. Instead, he booked
it onto Slaz’s side of the board, hopefully positioning himself so that Slaz
couldn’t come after me without risking the Turf War. My Dead Rider, meanwhile, finished off one
Large SPA and was moving in on a second.
My bats surrounded McMourning to cut off his positioning so aRamos would
have a harder time landing a Leap near enough to attack.
Turn four did not go much better. McMourning landed his first hit on aRamos for
6 wounds (prevented to 5) but missed after that. aRamos summoned two new Large SPAs after the
Dead Rider killed the other one and was flipping dynamite. aRamos, the bugs and Johan took turns
whacking McMourning, but he managed to survive the turn.
Turn five saw McMourning try to hit aRamos again, but
another moderate Tome plus a 13 on the stone this time pushed the attack out of
my range. Needing a 7 on my stone, I
again flipped too low and wasn’t able to attack anymore. My bats weren’t accomplishing anything, so I
drained two of them for Soulstones to try to keep McMourning alive, but he bit
it after some concentrated attacks. He
moved most of his crew towards my side of the board, holding one Large SPA back
to break my Breakthrough.
Turn six, my Dead Rider launched himself at the Large
SPA, killing him and moving into his deployment zone, but by then, the four
dynamite markers I had flipped were being flipped back and he was on my side of
the board with enough people to get two points for Turf War. The game ended and I lost, 2-4.
GAME TWO – PANDORA (BILL)
The second game was against Bill. He told me he was going to play Neverborn
last week, and I was planning on taking Neverborn too, but then he put up a bit
of a stink, so I acquiesced and switched to Ressers. Then I made the mistake of telling him who I
was taking after we flipped Strategies (I had Reconnoiter so I went with Kirai –
I was hoping to get a McMourning-friendly strategy), and he put Dreamer down
and picked up Pandora instead.
The game went predictably for Pandora vs. Kirai. Pandora got to Kirai without much trouble (high
model count gave a lot of models to bounce off of with Pacify), killed off all
the Seishin with her pricking them, then was able to target Kirai with enough
stuff that her own Pitiful kept hurting her.
I was able to get my Insidious Madness up near Pandora a
couple turns with the (-) WP flip, but even with that, Pandora was often
outflipping my crew as they tried to target her.
I started with one Shikome and summoned a second on turn
one. The first one was going after Lelu,
and the second one spent the first turn targeting the Doppelganger as its
Prey. I was able to get to Lelu, but he
ran the Doppelganger away and Lilitu was able to hold the Shikome down. I never really had the opportunity to swirl
it away because I was under pressure from Coppelius the whole time.
Overall, not a lot fell my way. Bill had a really solid crew to counter mine,
and mine did not have much that could directly deal with his outside the
Insidious Madness, and that hurt my crew just as much as his. By the end of turn six, he had wiped my whole
crew and maxed out his points, giving him a 8-0 victory over me.
So at the end of the day, I lost two in a row. Rough night for me. I had to go back home and let my wife know that it was the stench of defeat she was smelling on me. She told me I had to sleep on the couch that night.
But I’ve already challenged Slaz to another
aRamos match. I have yet to beat that
guy, and I’m convinced that prize is just in reach. Looking forward to the re-rematch…




With slaughter as the strategy its a tough choice (for me) between Pandora and Dreamer. With that said, looking at my losing streak vs you, chances were high Pandora was coming out in almost any strategy. The biggest change is the 3point swing on a doppelganger vs stitched.
ReplyDeleteAdditionally, LCB is not horribly vs Kirai as he ignores pitiful and gets a bonus because of it. Pandora just edged him out with my NB comfort level at this point.
I was surprised to see the Doppelganger out there, to be honest. It's good to get beat - I learned a lot more about Kirai from this game than I think I have in every other game combined. She's really got to be up closer to the fight to be able to do her thing. I know Dan tells me that, but in the past I wouldn't need to put her up to replenish her Seishin as much. Keeping her back this game really hurt her.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I should've held off at going against your crew quite so much. I had no need to charge after you early - I could have waited and let you come to me where I could keep Kirai supporting everything. Now to get that to work next time...
LCB's a good match for Kirai if you can drop all her Seishin, but as long as she's got those, she's going to be okay. And the Shikome are just death to the Dreamer, unfortunately. It's hard to keep him safe from those. Would have been a very different match.
I'll get you next time...!
I cannot remember if I made that comment last night or not (Shikome v Dreamer = Dead Kid). Nayte pulled that on me and it made me cry... just a little.
ReplyDelete