I just got my GenCon tickets in the mail which means I am
one step closer to heading west for Indianapolis. I’ve been reading through the various
companies that put out games that I enjoy and have a list of things I’d really
like to see while I’m out there. Some of
them I’ll buy, others just fall in the “curiosity” spot.
Ten Thunders/Storm
of Shadows by Wyrd
Every year I go to GenCon (this will be my third year
going) I have one place I want to head first as soon as the doors open. The first year I rushed to the Privateer
Press booth to grab a copy of Apotheosis and see what the new warcasters and
unique warjacks were all about. The
second year I went, I ran to the Fantasy Flight Games booth to get a copy of
the Pegasus expansion for my favorite board game, Battlestar Galactica. This year I rush to the Wyrd booth.
Wyrd has already announced the name of their new book,
Storm of Shadows, and said it will introduce a new faction, the Ten
Thunders. They’ve estimated that around
70-80% of the book will be available at the booth. I don’t know exactly what that will entail
yet, but I know I will be buying at least the book and the Nightmare Hanging
Tree. Beyond that, I’d guess that
Neverborn and Guild would be my top priorities.
X-Wing by FFG
I’ll admit I had no interest in this game whatsoever when I first heard about it, and I will likely pass on buying it, but I did get to see what the miniatures are going to look like, and it looks like it could turn out to be pretty fun. I hope to make it to the FFG booth and get a demo of the game. If I don’t, no big deal. It’s not high on my list. But since I’ve stopped playing Firestorm Armada, I don’t really have a good way to hold off my space combat fix.
I’ll admit I had no interest in this game whatsoever when I first heard about it, and I will likely pass on buying it, but I did get to see what the miniatures are going to look like, and it looks like it could turn out to be pretty fun. I hope to make it to the FFG booth and get a demo of the game. If I don’t, no big deal. It’s not high on my list. But since I’ve stopped playing Firestorm Armada, I don’t really have a good way to hold off my space combat fix.
Zombiecide by Cool
Mini
I love zombie games, and while I certainly will not be purchasing this at GenCon (I already ordered a copy of it through their Kickstarter), I really am looking forward to seeing how the game plays. The miniatures look good, and the characters I’ve seen from the emails that have been sent out to the supporters look solid. I expect this to be a game of heroes working together to mow down as many zombies as they can, just blasting them to pieces.
I love zombie games, and while I certainly will not be purchasing this at GenCon (I already ordered a copy of it through their Kickstarter), I really am looking forward to seeing how the game plays. The miniatures look good, and the characters I’ve seen from the emails that have been sent out to the supporters look solid. I expect this to be a game of heroes working together to mow down as many zombies as they can, just blasting them to pieces.
Overall, looks like a nice companion game to my Last Night on Earth addiction. LNoE serves as a good one for when I'm looking to have my zombies slaughter folks wholesale. Zombicide will hopefully be the one to grab when you want to get out there and kill dozens of zombie minions.
Iron Kingdoms RPG
by Privateer Press
I have been looking forward to this for years. Ever since Privateer Press stopped making their DnD 3.5 edition compatible version. I love the world for the Iron Kingdoms, even back before I ever started playing Warmachine. I remember when DnD3 was a new thing and I saw the art for the first Witchfire book sitting on the shelf at a local gaming store. I picked it up and read it through and was immediately taken by the world. As the next two books came out, I picked them up as well, and then the world books when they arrived. Even though I don’t really like the DnD system, I kept picking up the Iron Kingdoms books.
I have been looking forward to this for years. Ever since Privateer Press stopped making their DnD 3.5 edition compatible version. I love the world for the Iron Kingdoms, even back before I ever started playing Warmachine. I remember when DnD3 was a new thing and I saw the art for the first Witchfire book sitting on the shelf at a local gaming store. I picked it up and read it through and was immediately taken by the world. As the next two books came out, I picked them up as well, and then the world books when they arrived. Even though I don’t really like the DnD system, I kept picking up the Iron Kingdoms books.
When it was canceled, we were told that they would come
out with a new roleplaying game. I’ve
been waiting years. And now it’s finally
here.
I’ll be taking part in one of the demo games of this – my
wife, Dan and his wife, and Slaz will all be joining in on the fun. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Level 7 by Privateer
Press
This falls into the realm of games I’m interested in seeing but probably won’t buy unless it surprises the heck out of me. I really enjoy PP games though, so I figure I should give this one a try. This is a sci-fi conspiracy-type board game, and beyond that I know little about it.
This falls into the realm of games I’m interested in seeing but probably won’t buy unless it surprises the heck out of me. I really enjoy PP games though, so I figure I should give this one a try. This is a sci-fi conspiracy-type board game, and beyond that I know little about it.
Timber Peak (LNoE) by Flying Frog Productions
Here’s one I am certainly buying if it is there. Last Night on Earth is one of my top board games, and when I heard they were coming out with a new stand-alone expansion for it, I knew I had to get it. The game will be able to be played by itself or with any of the other ones. There are six characters – three new ones and three “survivor” versions of the old ones. Fourteen zombies, a full set of new boards, and new missions to play. Seems like a must-have for LNoE players.
Here’s one I am certainly buying if it is there. Last Night on Earth is one of my top board games, and when I heard they were coming out with a new stand-alone expansion for it, I knew I had to get it. The game will be able to be played by itself or with any of the other ones. There are six characters – three new ones and three “survivor” versions of the old ones. Fourteen zombies, a full set of new boards, and new missions to play. Seems like a must-have for LNoE players.
The Second City
Boxed Set (L5R RPG) by AEG
This last one comes down to how I’m feeling at the
time. I am going to be starting a Legend
of the Five Rings campaign up soon and I have been going out and getting all
the books I can find for the new edition.
The problem I have is that I really don’t like the current
storyline. The pre-Scorpion Clan Coup
time period from back before the card game mucked things up really was the best
of the time periods.
Fortunately, most of the 4th Edition L5R stuff can be
used with any time period. It’s designed
to be timeline-independent. However,
this new box set is coming out that falls straight into the current
timeline. It’s a city set, similar to
the old City of Lies and Otosan Uchi box sets from the first edition. This one centers around “Second City”, the
city that Rokugan is using as the capital of their occupied Burning Sands. Problem is it sounds very dependent on the
Rokugani being in the Burning Sands, otherwise it doesn’t really make much
sense. I might see if I can find someone
who can talk me through how it is set up but at the moment it feels like a
no-go.
What about all of you who are heading out to GenCon? What are you looking forward to getting?








No comments:
Post a Comment