Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Guild Continues and McMourning's Revenge



I got two more games in last night, including my long-awaited victory over Slaz’s aRamos crew with my McMourning crew.  I managed to kill off aRamos on the top of turn 4 after both McM and the Dead Rider pounded on him the previous turn for a while.  From there, I wiped out his significant models and let my bats swarm around until they got all my Plant Evidence markers.  Felt nice to get that monkey off my back. Though now I have to beat him with McMourning again just to even things out.  We’re taking a break from that particular matchup next week though.

My other game was a quick 25 soulstone game against Tim, the guy I faced at the top table of the NoVA Open last year.  My first order of Guild had arrived at the store, so I bought them with glee, and then challenged Tim to a game since Slaz was already playing a game at the time.  He suggested Guild, so I stole Skill-less Brian’s models and set out a 25 stone Lucius crew.  Tim pulled out the Vikis, a crew with which he was less familiar.

The game did not go fantastically for Lucius this time around.  The Vikis came swarming in while my Guardsmen and Austringer tried to keep the peace.  I managed to Deliver the Message on turn 2 when one of the Vikis swarmed in and killed two of my dogs.  A Guardsman got triple-ordered to walk to the Viki, then activated to deliver the message.  That was about the last time things went well for me.  I lost my Guardsman, then Tailor ran in to my other Guardsman and Austringer.  I managed to knock a bunch of models down a few wounds, but Lucius died to a Viki.  My last hope was that my two remaining Guild Hounds could make it safely to my Stake a Claim marker to pull a tie (he had Exterminate: Beasts as well), but they were caught by the Vikis and the game went an extra turn, giving him his last chance to kill the last remaining Hound.  I lost, 8-4.


So my two games so far with Guild have been split.  Not too shabby to start out with.  I’ve mostly been playing around with Lucius, Guild Guards, Guild Hounds, the Drill Sergeant and Austringers.  Now that I’ve picked up my box set for Lucius, I figure my Guard Captain and Ryle will make their way into my list (oh, poor Lawyer…).

I started looking over the card to Lucius after a couple matches and found a few things I hadn’t picked up on by scanning the card while playing:

1.       Lucius gets +2 DF if he is close to one or more Elite Division or Guardsmen.  I was finding him pretty easy to hit, even with the (-) flips, and couldn’t for the life of me figure out why that was.  When he was across the table from me, I always had a much harder time.

2.       Lucius only needs to hit for his Governor’s Authority trigger to go off.  He doesn’t actually need to damage anyone.  Never came up, but it’s good to know.

3.       Lucius has Slow to Die.  I mean… wow.  How did I miss that?  That’s a huge change to how I play him.

Add to that some of the other things I’m finding (wait… Guardsmen are CB6 in melee?!) and I am realizing just how much learning I have to do with this crew.  Looking forward to it.  Stay tuned for more of my Guild experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment