Thursday, June 23, 2011

Nekima and Lilitu Should Not Play Together


Yesterday I got a game in with a Pandora list that I was trying out a new combo for. I should say it's not a new combo to everyone - I know people have been talking about it and using it for several months - but this was the first time I had given this particular combo a try. My list was:

Pandora + 8 SS
- Primordial Magic
- Nekima
- Lelu
- Lilitu
- Terror Tot

The basic combo involved just Nekima and Lilitu. The rest of the list was built to compliment that combination of models.

Nekima activates and uses Nephilim Heart to give all Nephilim around her an additional Mask on one stat. In this case, she chooses CA. At that point, Lilitu can use Lure with an automatic double-Mask and thus automatically trigger Double-Take every time. As long as the target fails its resist, she's going to be casting the spell again. If they do pass their resist, Lilitu has two more actions with which to start the chain again.

The rest of the army was built to support this chain. Pandora was present so that every time someone failed a WP duel (as they would when they were testing against Lure), they would take 1 Wound if they were near enough to Pandora. Models attempting to target either Pandora, Lilitu or Nekima would have to succeed in WP duels first. Nekima would grab a couple of blood for herself over the first couple of turns (using Lilitu to heal herself back up if possible) so that if the cards came around, Lelu could sacrifice the Terror Tot to create a new Lilitu.



The combo worked wonderfully. On the first turn, Lilitu, with the help of Pandora and Nekima, was able to Lure a Belle and kill it with the continuing one point of damage for failing a WP duel, and the melee attacks for Lure ending in range of Lilitu. Over the course of the game, things just continued along that route. Crooked Men and Guild Autopsies all took damage from Pandora rushing through on a Pacify track, and Lilitu just picked one or two models to kill every turn while keeping herself and Nekima suitably protected. Once the opposing master made it into the fray (on turn three - not like he was holding back), Pandora dropped Project Emotions onto him and two other models, forcing all to flee with Mental Anguish. At that point, fleeing and Metal Anguish gave Seamus a double-negative-flip on WP resists and Lilitu Lured him into the lines and killed him.

The combination proved to be far more effective than I had expected. In the past I argued that if someone spent 27 points on this combo (13 for Nekima, and then 7 each for Lelu and Lilitu - need to take both twins or they will end up dying too fast), they should have a strong combo. The other issue is that there are several lynchpins for the combo to work. If Nekima dies, it falls flat. If Lilitu dies, you had better hope you have a 13 to resummon a new one (I never got that chance during the game yesterday) or your plan falls flat.

However, and admittedly after only one game, I find the combination may be too powerful as is. I would want to try it against other lists, but I have the feeling this particular build might go the way of my Hamelin crew - put away unless someone specifically asks to play against him simply because of the negative play experience.

Simply put, the automatic Double-Take Lure is quite powerful. In my limited experience using it, I would easily say it ranks among one of the most annoying combos I've seen out there. In conjunction with Pandora, it's essentially an automatic kill on any model within 18" of Lilitu (there are some exceptions, of course).



If I were to recommend changes to the abilities to bring them down to earth after only one game, I would suggest a change to Lure - that it cannot be cast on a model in base-to-base with you. Once Lilitu brings you into base to base with her, she cannot cast the spell on you anymore. The fact that after she casts the spell she can keep casting it on you even if you do not move makes it brutal as every time she'll get a free attack. Alternatively, change the Double-Take trigger so that it can only go off once when she starts casting Lure. So each Lure essentially can turn into two Lures, but not beyond that into three, four, five, etc. This will keep her ability still powerful, but manageable as she'll only be bringing in up to six Lures in a single activation.

Again, this is a gut reaction after a single game of seeing it in action. I am not usually one to complain about combinations in a game as overpowered, but I feel this might warrant attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment