Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Black Swan


There may be spoilers below.

A couple nights ago I ended up watching Black Swan at my parents' house. It was one of the movies from last year I was not very interested in seeing. The premise did not appeal to me, and overall I just felt I should pass on the movie. But my parents had the flick and Laura and I didn't have any plans, so we ended up watching it with them.

Fantastic choice.

I'll preface this by saying it's not a movie for everyone. It's not that easy of a movie to watch. There are some cringe-worthy moments, and some seriously f-ed up moments. You spend a good portion of the movie questioning exactly what's going on and what's real. Natalie Portman's character's decent into insanity is very well-played, and her paranoia and unease is apparent from the very early stages of the movie. It's another of those movies where you follow the point of view of a character whose point of view you cannot actually trust. I ended the movie still wondering which parts were actually real and which were not.

If you're interested in a heavy psychological movie, I'd recommend this one. But be ready for a few parts that unsettle you a bit. I was pleasantly surprised by the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment