Friday, January 14, 2011

Dindrenzi Reinforcements Clear Space Dock

I haven't played Firestorm Armada since the beginning of November, but after seeing the topic of the newest d6 Generation podcast (check it out if you enjoy gaming podcasts), I got the itch to pull out the fleet once more. I went back through my bag and found two squadrons that had not been painted up yet, so in my home-bound illness days over the last couple days, I painted up my squadron of Heavy Cruisers and Gunships.




I have played only a couple games with the Heavy Cruisers, and only once with the Gunships, but I did post up my thoughts on them. Check them out back in this post.

After Distopian Wars came out, I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. From everything I was seeing, it looked like Firestorm Armada would end up being the game Spartan Games left behind. There were still plenty of boats coming out for Uncharted Seas, and they had just received their new book. Distopian Wars hit the tables with far more options already than Firestorm Armada currently has, and their push of that game made it feel like Firestorm Armada was being left in the dust.

But yesterday I came across a post on the Spartan Games website that talked a little about their plans for 2011:

Hi,

I'm sure there is going to be a lot of speculation about these books. Right now I will share the following, but the rest will have to wait until January:

2 Books
64 pages each (could be more, but use this as a baseline)
1 for the Alliance of Kurak (Terran, Sorylian and Aquan)
1 for the Xenian Alliance (Dindrenzi, Directorate and Relthoza)

The Book Contents:

Each book will introduce Alliance Races to the Firestorm Universe, races that can join forces with your existing fleets. As a player you will be able to build an alliance fleet using a core fleet as the backbone. So you could have 50% of your fleet formed from Terran vessels and build the rest from Aquan, Sorylian or one of the other 5-7 new races we will introduce for each Alliance.

New ships designs, new ship classes will be introduced to you. And in preparation for large scale planetary invasion in 2011, ships that will allow you to transport giant armies from planetary system to planetary system will arrive.

Each Alliance will gain 20 new ship types from the various races.

The books will also pull together any necessary statistic and any rule extensions for all current fleets and any upgrade models.

More information in January, but I hope that helps you understand the two books.

All the best,
Spartan Neil


Digging around, it looks like they'll be doing a few website updates this month, and then the two free pdf books will be coming out in February. I have to say it's made me excited for the game again.

No comments:

Post a Comment