Malifaux 2nd edition (M2E) has been released to the
public. I figured I’d give some of my
thoughts on it. It seems the thing to do
these days.
Before I start, I want to give you a little
background. I was in the beta test. I know for some people that means an
immediate dismissal of my opinions, and that’s fine. I’m just a guy typing words into a computer –
my opinion should always be taken with a grain of salt. (Though if you want the correct opinion, just
follow my lead.)
When I first saw M2E, I remember having a number of
feelings, most of them pretty negative.
Early on, I actually put up a long post about how I felt the game had
lost everything that made me enjoy Malifaux.
I didn’t enjoy the models, I didn’t enjoy the strategies, and I thought
the rules were clunky.
In the months since then, my opinion has completely
shifted to the point where even if I cannot be sure whether I will enjoy M2E as
much as I did v1, I can say with certainty that I think the new core rules are
better.
I have a lot to say about the game, but I thought a good
place to start was for me to evaluate what I wanted to see change (as seen back
in this post) and how that compared with what did end
up changing after all.
Drain Souls
What I wanted: I wanted this to remain in the game but
changed in such a way that when it was used, models could still get points for
strategies and schemes.
What happened: It is gone. Flat out gone. No need to worry about odd rules interactions
because they don’t exist anymore.
Result: I am
happy with this change. I would have
preferred keeping it but changing how it works, but eliminating it entirely
removes the headache forever.
Strategies /
Schemes
What I wanted: I wanted them reworked – there were a
number of issues with them. Repeated
schemes. They favored speed over
others. Too many kill strategies and
schemes. A few schemes that were
impossible to stop. And faction schemes
that were imbalanced (Archanist and Neverborn, mostly). I wanted all of this fixed.
What happened: They certainly did get reworked, more
than I was expecting. Schemes are more
important. Scheme pools. Scheme markers. No more faction schemes at all. Time will tell whether I end up thinking
there’s more variation in the schemes, but it’s looking pretty positive to me.
Result: Improvement across the board.
Terrifying /
Non-Living Models
What I wanted: I wanted the result of terrifying to be
weakened and the amount of terrifying to increase, essentially.
What happened: Basically exactly that. Fall back was removed and Terrifying either
ends your current activation (if you’re in the middle of your activation) or
gives you Paralyze (if it happens outside your activation). Also, Terrifying picks a certain type of
model to work against.
Result: Hit right on what I wanted.
Pre-measuring
What I wanted: Pre-measuring.
What happened: Pre-measuring.
Result: Flat out success.
Loaded Keywords
What I wanted: There were a lot of similar rules that
all piled around. Fly and Float. Pitiful, Harmless and Irrisistable. Arachnid, Shambling and Scout. I wanted them all combined so the bits about
why one was better than another in what situation was removed.
What happened: Pretty much exactly that. Most similar rules got combined together.
Result: Success.
Clean Up Confusing
Rules
What I wanted: A lot of the confusing rules were annoying to
deal with. Towards and Directly
Towards. Calculating range when height
was involved. A big one I missed in my
first write-up was Effects – what are they. Capital-A Attack versus lower-case-a attack.
What happened: Some of these were addressed. Effects got changed to Conditions, which was
a fantastic shift. Line of Sight I know
is still a little wonky. There is still
some room for improvement here, but they feel clearer to me now than v1
did. Whether a few years of kicking the
tires is going to shake out more weird rules interactions or not only time can
tell. I tend to think there will be, but
that’s only because I have yet to find a game that doesn’t end up with some
weirdness after any given length of time.
Result: Partial success, but still room to improve.
So there we have it.
So far it’s actually looking pretty solid compared with my initial hopes
for the game. I was trying to pin down
why I liked the game so much, and being able to look back at a recorded set of
issues I had with the game and see how many of them were specifically addressed
with the new edition, I guess it makes a lot of sense.
And that’s not even getting into the changes that happened
that I wasn’t actually looking for.
Upgrades –
Okay, now this one I’m actually not completely on board with. Conceptually I can see the plan, but all
things being equal, I would rather play a game without Upgrades than with. They just don’t fit my style as well. But if they’re the major disappointment to me
from M2E, I’ll call that a good day.
Scheme Markers – Now
these are fantastic. I love this
idea. It makes schemes feel much more
dynamic to me. Making a standard
interact to work with all schemes means that schemes can be achieved while
still keeping them hidden. You can
achieve a scheme while your opponent doesn’t know what you’re doing. You can lay traps for your opponent with them
by either encouraging him to go after them or by making it look like you’re
doing one thing to pull him out of position while you move off to do something
else. Overall, a fantastic change and
probably my second favorite in the new version.
Scheme Pool –
I did not like this at all when I first saw it.
I thought it was over-complicated, useless, and severely limited my
ability to play the game I wanted to play.
Then I used the scheme pool for a half dozen games or so. Now I love it. With 19 schemes available, if I had full
choice of all schemes, I would easily slip back into the v1 pattern of “choose
two of these five schemes I know how to do very well every game”. Now I can’t.
The schemes I might know well may not be available for every game. It keeps the missions feeling fresh and
varied.
Soulstones –
This is a change that I can understand the two sides. I love that soulstones have more uses but are
weaker than they used to be. In the past,
they turned your master into an amazing beast that could do what it wanted to
any non-soulstone users. Now, not so
much anymore. Soulstone users still have
some real solid benefits with auto-suits and with prevention flips, but they
can’t get to the point where they’re automatically succeeding at what they
want.
One other thing about soulstones I disliked from v1 was
when you sent a soulstone user at another soulstone user. Both players would generally have the cheat,
and then both would spend a soulstone, and the entire duel came down to who
flipped better on the random single card.
Now that’s gone, and the emphasis is on who has the higher cheat and
stat. The way I think it should be.
Five-turn Limit – This
came across to me the same way the Scheme Pool initially did. And then something crazy happened. I played with the five-turn limit and the
game actually felt okay. I tried it again
and strangely, I liked it. I played
again and again and again and soon I came to the realization that it wasn’t a
fluke. I loved five-turn games. So much, in fact, that I wish v1 had only
been five turns. This is, hands down, my
favorite change to the v2 core rules.
Why do I like five-turn games? In v1, my games often went like this: I would
move out, ambush and kill all my opponents’ models, then grab my schemes and/or
strategy. I would usually be able to
wipe out most of my opponents’ crew by turn 4 or so, so that gave me 2 turns to
collect my points. Piece of cake.
Now if I try that, I am killing my opponent’s crew by
turn 4 or so, and I run out of time to collect my points. I’ve played games where one person went
all-out for their points and the other went for killing, then tried to grab
their points, and they lost because they ran out of time. One of the things I’ve seen pointed to as a
reason why Malifaux was so cool – that you could win a game while still being
wiped out – is now more feasible. I
think I had done that maybe a handful of times in v1. In v2, if you play smart and grab your VPs as
fast as possible, you can do that more often when your opponent doesn’t try to
grab theirs.
So there we have it.
My first article on M2E. I’m certainly
a fan of the new version of Malifaux and am enjoying getting it out to the
larger audience. It took me a while to
get to the point where I could say that, but I think the game that’s out is a
very fine product, and now hopefully we’ll be able to get the balance of the
models to a solid state before it’s all locked down.
Thanks to everyone who is out there working hard at
testing the models. The best way to
learn the game is by playing it, and the best way to find the problems with it
is by putting them on the table. Not
once, not twice, but a lot. Hundreds
upon hundreds of games have already been played in the closed beta to get the
game where it is now. Let’s get
thousands more through these next weeks to get the game to an awesome product.






Cheerleader.... grumble grumble....
ReplyDeleteOk, just joking on that but it was fun to write. Now I understand the fun you guys had for the last couple years!
Nicely written article. I certainly do not agree with all your points but its nice to see what areas of the new game appeal to you. I am not sure where things are moving with me but I plan to get a couple more trial games in. I do agree there are some good changes in V2, but it does not feel like the same game to me. Time will tell if it is a game I am willing to sit and play or not.
Ha! Yeah, it is bizarro-world where I'm happy with Malifaux and applauding it while you're unhappy and criticizing it. I'm not sure how to operate in such a world!
DeleteI think there's a lot of value in M2E (obviously), but I'm also not blind to the fact that many of the things I appreciate listed in the post are things that other people specifically do not appreciate. Pre-measuring, for example, has a lot of people on both sides. I'm sure the five-turn limit is a huge issue for a lot of people, even though it was a huge improvement to the game for me.
How to react to a world where you like Malifaux and bill doesn't, you should probably start a podcast, you could get bill as a cohost. Call it the Lounge of Gamers or some such. Reckon you'd have good chemistry together!
ReplyDeleteHmm.... the idea has merit. And then Bill could be second-fiddle to me!
DeleteI don't know what's going on in that baby picture, but it's amazing.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I really love the format you chose for this article. I'd love to see more people utilize it, particularly the people who don't like M2e.
Thanks! I had a big plan to change the passport in the picture with the baby into a copy of Malifaux's rules, but I ran out of time before I could do that.
DeletePretty epic WyrdGames retweet. I want to be on Gamer's Lounge again! Make it so!
ReplyDeleteThat explains it! I couldn't figure out why my blog suddenly exploded with viewers until you said this. Went out to check out the Wyrd twitter feed. Now I understand....
DeleteThanks for the good write up. I have only 2 M2E games in my pocket yet but can almost 100% agree with what you said based on my initial impressions.
ReplyDelete