Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mass Effect Playthrough: Part Four (The End)



 I finally finished playing through Mass Effect 3 (for the second time).  I already knew that the ending of the game had some issues, so there was not the big let-down that there was the first time.  Though to be honest, I did not have nearly the same rage against the end of the game that most seemed to.  I felt like Mass Effect 3 was, on the whole, a success, even the first time through.  I played for over 30 hours on the game.  If the last twenty minutes were subpar but the rest of the game was really good, I called it a success.

Note: there will be a lot of spoilers below.  Read on at your own risk.


CHOICES IN MASS EFFECT 3
So what did I decide to end up doing?  There were a lot of big choices.


The Genophage – I was working with Wrex, having seen him survive the previous two games.  He was one of those characters I did not grow incredibly close to in the first game, but always wished I knew more about.  He was a tough character – stubborn (like my Shepard).  I liked seeing the two of them butt heads.  I didn’t really want it to happen, but I knew there was no way we would both get what we wanted.  He wanted the Genophage cured.  I wanted peace in the galaxy after the war.  The Krogan were not going to be that peace.

Heck, even when Mordin arrived to try to cure them, almost every Krogan wanted to kill him.  Eve and Wrex talked them down, but it would be nigh impossible for the two of them to hold back the entire species from trying to wage war.  Once I found out that Eve was dead too by the end of the mission, I knew the Krogan could not be allowed to repopulate.

I tried to delay Mordin, but he saw through my attempts.  I have to say when he turned around and shouted that he wanted to cure the genophage because he had made a mistake, I got chills.  A fantastic revelation for the character.  Unfortunately, I was trying to do something bigger.  I needed to save all life, not just Krogan.  I tried talking Mordin down, he refused, and I shot him in the back.  Made me feel about the worst person in the galaxy at that point.  I hated seeing him try to crawl to the console to release the cure.  Shepard tossing her gun away after shooting Mordin was just about exactly how I felt.


The Quarians and the Geth – I knew this was coming and was dreading it from the beginning.  The friggin Quarians are dumb.  Every time I feel a little bit of sympathy for them, they go about trying to bring about their deaths faster again.  They attacked the Geth at every turn, and then came crawling back to me again to try to save them.


Once the Geth were freed from the Reaper, I was given the choice of letting Legion upload the upgrades to the rest of the Geth (and give them the ability to overwhelm the Quarians) or leave them to die.  To me it was not much of a choice.  At every turn I had argued that the Quarians should not be following this path.  The Geth had tried peace with the Quarians several times only to be attacked each one.  I was done with it – the Geth had as much a right to live as the Quarians.  They had tools – let them use them.

Fortunately I was given the chance to say pretty much exactly that to the Quarians.  “I’m done trying to save you.  If you don’t stand down in 30 seconds, your ships will be blown out of the stars.”  The Quarians finally listened and sought peace.  Seeing the Geth and Quarians work together at last made me quite happy.


The End – I have to say, I liked the new scenes added in to the end.  Being able to say goodbye to Liara (who I ended up choosing this game over Garrus) was touching.  The extra conversation pieces with the kid at the end were fun to explore (especially in light of the Leviathan DLC).

The first time I had played through this game, I went with the Destroy option.  It felt the most in-line with what I had done up to that point.  I couldn’t justify spending so much time working towards the death of the Reapers only to give in at the end.  I couldn’t take Control because I had just argued with the Illusive Man that it was a bad choice.  And Synthesis just did not feel right to me.

This time through, after a lot of conversation, I ended up going with Synthesis.

Sadly, there’s not much to really say about the ending.  While I had a lot of emotion during the part with Mordin (disgust at myself, desperation to keep the Krogan in check) and in dealing with the Geth (anger at the Quarians, defensiveness for the Geth), I didn’t have nearly as much in the end of the game as a whole.  I had already said my goodbyes to the characters and come to terms with the fact I was probably going to die.  I was confused to see that the Krogan started repopulating anyway (so… what was the point of all that?), but it was nice to hear EDI’s voice-over end with “Because of Shepard, I am alive.”  A nice touch.


CARRYOVERS FROM OTHER MASS EFFECT GAMES
There were a lot of choices that moved from the first game to the second and then the third.  I was surprised at how much actually impacted the future.  There were some big events – like not killing Wrex in the first game.  Keeping my crew alive during the suicide run led directly to a lot of them returning in the third game.

But there were also minor changes that happened.  For example, in the first game, I played through a bunch of the minor missions.  One took me to Luna where there was a rouge AI.  In the second game, when I first met EDI, there was an extra line of dialogue that talked about how I was untrusting of AI, partially because of the rouge I fought against in the first game.  I thought that was a nice touch but didn’t think much of it.

Then, in the third game, I was rewarded with a full couple-minute scene with EDI where she revealed to me that she was, in fact, that same AI from Luna I had fought with before.  She explained that was when she first “woke up” and that it was a particularly confusing time for her.  It was a nice add-in and felt like it was helping to bring pieces of the story full-circle.

That’s one of the things I liked most about this playthrough.  I found the green-skinned Asari because I helped her on the plant-world in the past.  The Rachni sent someone to speak with me in ME2 because I had saved her in ME1.  Convincing Miranda to speak with her sister in the second game led to different interactions between them in the third game.  Everything built on itself.



DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT
In order to prepare for my trip through Mass Effect 3, I downloaded all the extra missions I could.  Since this might be my last playthrough (though I am already thinking about going again down the line), I wanted the full experience.

Omega – Of the three Mass Effect 3 missions, the Omega one was certainly the worst.  Which, to me, says a lot, since it was still a significant addition to the game and felt fun.  I was disappointed that I could not take my team with me, though, and overall the missions felt a bit more hollow than the rest of ME3.  I enjoyed it, but mostly because I enjoyed any time I could play Shepard.  It didn’t really add much to the story.


Leviathan – This one, on the other hand, provided a ton of great stuff.  It slid straight into the overall plot and added a lot of answers to the mystery.  It took us to some pretty creepy locations (heading to the place where you first started sussing out Leviathan where all the people seemed eerily calm, or the floating ship in the massive ocean), but also stuck is in some real boring spots too (the place we sought out the scientist’s daughter).  The end conversation was fantastic and added a lot to the mythology.

Citadel – I can’t say enough good things about this piece.  Getting to see all the characters again in a light-hearted, self-referential mission was fantastic.  My favorite parts were certainly when Shepard used Joker as bait at the beginning and he figured it out, and when Shepard was finally captured by evilShepard and stuck in the airtight vault.  The most important thing to Shepard at that point was making sure people agreed with her that she sounded better than evilShepard.  A top-notch “epilogue” to the story, and a great chance to see everyone again.



INDOCTRINATION THEORY
After the game ended, I went back to read more about the Indoctrination Theory.  I haven’t gone through everything yet (some of these videos are almost two hours long!) but I intend to watch more.  I have to say, I think some of what it’s suggesting is pretty compelling, and I do not think that the extra material in the ending completely closes the door on it.  At the same time, there’s obviously nothing in the game that completely points to it.  There’s just a lot of circumstantial evidence that if it’s lined up right leads to the idea of Indoctrination.

I think I’m okay with the ending being ambiguous like that.  I know some people will say with complete certainty that the Indoctrination Theory is wrong.  Others will say with complete certainty that it is right.  Bioware hasn’t weighed in on it.  Yet.  Maybe they will some day.

But for now, I think I prefer thinking of the Indoctrination Theory as true.  It does leave some rather big holes (like: what happens in the end, then?  If Destroying the Reapers was just in his mind, doesn’t that mean they’re still out there?), but I always prefer games that are a psychological mind-twist to those that come out straight-forward.



So there we have it.  My trip through Mass Effect is over for now.  I had a great time doing it, and while my intention started off that this would be my last journey through the Mass Effect world, I may well start back up again sometime in the future.  Can’t close the door on all this yet.

But what’s in the future for me?  I had considered starting up Fallout 3 again.  I always liked that game.  Or I heard that Dishonored had a new set of missions that you could play.  But Dan is whispering in my ear that I should give the new Bioshock game a try.  That might be the next playthrough.  Whatever it ends up being, be sure that I’ll be writing about it here.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished Bioshock Infinite and have to say its a pretty good game. I was a little disappointed that the ties back to the original two are so weak though. Overall, if you look at it as a stand alone game I think its very strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to hear - after spending over 80 hours on a three-game series, a standalone (even if it is the third part of a series) sounds like a nice change of pace.

    ReplyDelete