Friday, June 7, 2013

Malifaux M2E - Privateer Press and Wyrd Open Beta Experiences



I haven’t been shy about my gaming history.  For miniatures games, it’s actually been pretty light on different systems.  I got into miniatures well after most of my other gaming, and the first game I played a lot of was Warmachine.  The second game I played a lot of was Malifaux.

I was around both games when they went through a major edition shift.  I was thinking back to my days at the Privateer Press world.


Warmachine
I played a lot of Warmachine – usually hitting up the game store once a week or more to get a few games in.  I started my Cygnar when Escalation came around and played through into Mark 2.  There were a lot of issues with the rules – none that made the game impossible to play, but certainly fiddly ones that made the game a little off if you didn’t keep up with the rule changes on the forums.  These rules problems didn’t come up every game, but they came up frequently enough.

Mark 2’s open beta came up and I gave the game a good go.  I tested, enjoyed what I was testing a bit, but I didn’t quite feel like the game was what I enjoyed playing.  It all felt a bit off.  The game size was increasing drastically, and what I enjoyed in Cygnar – playing a melee-based army – was becoming less viable.

I ended up leaving the game behind shortly after Warmachine Mark 2 was officially launched and drifted for a while before finding my next miniatures game.


Malifaux
I ended up picking up Malifaux probably six months after it was launched at GenCon.  I played through with Neverborn through the first couple books, then spread into Ressers when I saw Avatar Seamus in the third book, and picked up Guild with the arrival of McHammish in the fourth book.

I love Classic Malifaux, but I also recognize there were certainly places the game could be polished.  Playing casually was okay, but every few games you’d run into a rules interaction that required a lot of head-scratching or a run to the rules forum to determine.  Sometimes those expanded into questions about “Attack” versus “attack” or “Damage” versus “Wounds”.

When M2E was announced, I had a number of thoughts of what I’d like to see changed.  When I got my first chance to see it, a lot more had changed than I expected.  Similar to my reaction with Warmachine, I was initially put off by all the changes.  I don’t like a lot of change personally.  I had immediate flashbacks to how I went through the Warmachine Mark 2 test and the end results.  I prepared myself for the worst.

But my experiences with Warmachine had also helped to prepare me mentally for the changes.  I had been through the loss of a game that I considered my primary game before, and come out okay at the other end.  Second Generation Awesome Dan once called me pessimistic because I said that I expected there would be a time where I didn’t play Malifaux anymore.  The same thing had happened with Warmachine, after all.  Through that lens, it was easier to deal with.

Add to that the fact that Wyrd was giving me an opportunity to influence how the game would end up.  I made a deal with myself: I would not drop out of the playtesting until it was done.  I would endure the bad parts of the game and work to make them better.  I would put in more effort to put the game on what I felt was the right track now because it could influence the game for an entire new edition.  After all, I reasoned, if I dropped out of playtesting, or if I complained loudly but without substance, I had only myself to blame if the game did not come out well at the end of the tunnel.  Wyrd was giving me the opportunity to make recommendations.  Wyrd had demonstrated they would listen to us.  If at release the game was still not something I wanted to play, I would leave it behind and move on to the next game.  But if they moved it to something I enjoyed, I would have (at least in my mind) made the game into something I would enjoy for years to come.

With that philosophy, I went back into the game and tested the heck out of it.  Some things worked.  Some didn’t.  Sometimes they listened to me.  Sometimes they ignored me.  Sometimes I was on the majority side clamoring for a change or to maintain the status quo.  Sometimes I felt like a lone voice.  But whatever came up, I tried to remove all emotion from the post and present a sound and logical rational for the issue.

And you know what?  The game did change.  Slowly at first, but every iteration moved the game closer and closer to a system that I enjoy to the point where now I have a hard time finding a compelling reason (other than all the models not being available yet… an issue to be resolved before the year is out) to go back to v1.



Things could still prove to come out wrong at the end, I fully recognize that.  I’m still holding myself to the same deal I made when I was on the other end of the “excitement for M2E” spectrum.  I will not make my final decision until I see the final product.  But the way things are looking right now, I’m quite excited for the release at GenCon.

To those who are disappointed in M2E, I am not discounting your opinions.  If my experiences with WM gave me any lesson, it’s this: every game is not for every player.  I immensely enjoyed the first version of Warmachine.  I did not enjoy the second one.  But I can’t with a straight-face say it’s a bad system.  If anything, I have a hard time arguing that it’s not a better system now than it was before.  The game is more popular than it ever has been.  But at the same time, it’s not the game for me anymore.

M2E is still in a stage where it can change.  If you do not like something about the game, now is the time to try to make changes.  Already with the first wave of changes in open beta, a lot has seen adjustment.  It’s clear they are listening to us.  Take heart in that.

But if the game ends up being something that you don’t want to play anymore on the other end of release, that’s okay too.  I don’t look back at Warmachine with anger for them changing the game.  I remember the years of enjoyment I got out of it when I was playing.  I hope that people who leave Malifaux after v1 will look back the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment