While my blog tends to focus around the games I play most often - Malifaux at the moment - I consider myself a bit more well-rounded gamer than that. True I do enjoy miniatures games quite a bit, but I also enjoy my share of roleplaying and board games, with occasional dabbling in computer games and every once in a while, a card game too.
So, like any hobbiest, I guess my interest waxes and wanes in regards to different types of games. Right now I'm definitely at a low with card games (and have been there for many a year) and a low with computer games (though I am anxiously awaiting Mass Effect 3). My board game interest is waning at the moment. Malifaux and miniatures gaming is remaining flat near the top of my interest, but what's really rising for me right now is roleplaying.
A few months back I finished out running my campaign of Grimm, a tale where the characters all played kids who were caught in a grand story where they were flipping back and forth between the fairy tale world and the real world, only each time they moved back and forth, something changed in the real world. Slowly, as they traveled to Wonderland and Never-Never Land, stopping at a few other places inbetween, they figured out how to gain more control over what they were doing. Finally they ended up in Oz where they were able to defeat the evil overlord who was destroying the fairy tale worlds, stop the Wicked Witch of the West and break her hold over various members of the group, and rebuild the real world so that they could go home.
Every time our group ends a campaign, there's usually a break while we all wind down, play some board games, and generally goof off until the next campaign starts up. Since I ran the last campaign, it falls to other people in the group to run the next one (unless no one else wants to - then I'd run again). We have two people who like to GM and a third who occassionally does, so it means no GM has to run the games twice in a row - a good thing. Makes sure our GMs don't burn out.
This time, Brian's going to take the wheel and run us through our next adventure. He's always been a fan of Deadlands and the wild west, so he's building up a storyline for us to jump into. Since Dan's getting married in less than a month, we've decided to hold off until he gets back to actually launch the campaign. No sense in starting for a week or two and then taking a long break.
Overall, really looking forward to getting back in the seat and playing in a campaign. We'll be doing a couple one-shots between now and go-time, just to get our feet wet and help get a sense of the rules. Looking forward to the launch.
Friday, September 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment