Wyrd Miniatures has been going gangbusters for their Malifaux releases at Gencon. While it looks like they might fall short of the 70% of Book 4 release goal they had (reports are that they will have a lot of Neverborn and Archanists, possibly a lot of Ten Thunders, and nothing from Guild, Ressers or Outcasts), what they are bringing looks very nice.
First, they're moving to plastics with this release. Metal has just become too expensive to keep up with the rising cost, and they're looking to make some changes to make sure they don't have to increase prices. While I do like the heft of a nice metal model, I have to say the detail they're putting in to these models looks fantastic. That, plus the more easily customized models, makes the move to plastic a good move in my book.
NEVERBORN
My first faction and my true love. They're getting a whole new crew that looks very different from the other Neverborn models. We've got some dapper gentlemen and some... female entertainers. On the Breachside Broadcast, they once had an advertisement for a new casino called the Honey Pot, which ended with "Tell 'em Jakob sent ya." And now we finally get to see Jakob himself.
I've decided I am going to refer to Jakob as Mr. Lynch so that I can have Mr. Lynch, Mr. Tannen and Mr. Graves walking around in their tuxedos kicking butt. I am really looking forward to this line.
ARCHANISTS
I have to be honest, these guys don't really do it for me, but I can't deny that they look cool. The metal/rail road theme isn't really my speed, but Mei herself looks fantastic with the exploding rubble around her. She's got that kung fu look to her - maybe Archanists will finally get a melee-centric master.
I'm not a huge fan of the Metal Gamin, though I love the look of the Rail Golem. Willie looks pretty hilarious, but I don't think it's enough to push me into picking up the crew.
TEN THUNDERS
Of course, we had to see some of the new faction on the block. Misaki graduated from a minion in the Outcast line to a master in the new Ten Thunders crew. They sport a very Asian look. As a long-time player of the Legend of the Five Rings roleplaying game, I wholeheartedly approve.
I don't like the way Misaki herself looks - she's far too dynamic of a pose. It looks like they tried to do too much with her. But Yamaziko looks fantastic, and the Archers look really nice too.
EXTRAS
We also got a good look at the new Miss mode, Miss Terious (an alternate Death Marshall). There's going to be a Santiago alternate sculpt, Santana, which is available only to Henchmen. And finally, the Nightmare model for this time around is the Hanging Tree featuring Nathan and Eric, the founders of Wyrd.
All three models are top notch. I'll certainly be getting the Miss
Terious and the Hanging Tree. If I can manage to get my hands on a
Santana, I'll be doing that as well.
And because seeing the new plastic models was not enough for Wyrd, they've also gone out to release different pages from the upcoming book to generate even more excitement. Below are some of the pages they've put up. All of them look fantastic. A Resser model with 10 wounds, Riposte, and Object 2? A Guild model that can pour out tons of ranged damage? A Neverborn model that shuts down card draw and plays with fate? An Archanist model that tosses dynamite around and control the field a bit? And a Ten Thunders six-stone minion with Use Soulstone? All very awesome.
In short, Gencon cannot get here fast enough. Less than a week away, and I'm already counting down the hours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






















No comments:
Post a Comment