Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Huzzah's August Tuesday Tussle


A week ago, Bill had a fantastic idea: run a Tuesday night Malifaux tournament.  With only a week notice, he still managed to pull out 12 attendees.  Not too shabby.  We had three Neverborn, one Guild, three Ressers, three Outcasts, and two Archanists.

The tournament was a 25-stone, fixed faction, Domination-style format.  Strategies were random Shared.  Schemes were unique through the whole event, and we had 60 minute rounds with 15 minutes in between.  So it was a fairly condensed format.  We had a lot of newer players as well as some of the vets.  Dave, a henchmen from Rochester who has been visiting DC for the summer, was making his last appearance in DC with us.  Slaz, a local Archanist player, came out for his first Malifaux tournament (he likes tourneys even less than I do).

Overall, the tournament did reinforce one thing: I am glad I did not sign up for a tournament at Gencon.  Just playing the three games gave me a headache, and while I enjoyed the whole tournament, it’s not what I’m going to Gencon to do.  Adepticon next year is a different story – I’ll be there for the tournaments, so that’s what I will be playing.

I came with Neverborn, taking Dan’s advice and filling the case I intend to bring to Gencon with the models I intended to bring so I could see how they’d do.


ROUND ONE – ANDREW (MARCUS/KAERIS)
SHARED DESTROY THE EVIDENCE
Andrew is one of the newer players who has been coming for the past few months from Game Parlor Chantilly.  He’s a great opponent – a lot of fun to banter with and someone who legitimately enjoys the game, no matter which way the flips go.

With Shared Destroy the Evidence, I took Zoraida, Collodi, Four Marionettes, and the Doppelganger.  Collodi was there to get the objective markers, Zoraida was there to survive and help out with her movement if need be, and the Doppelganger was there to get me initiative on the first turn.  Andrew took Marcus, Kaeris, and three Silurids.  I had Bodyguard (Zoraida) and Stake a Claim for my schemes, and he had Power Ritual and Bodyguard (Marcus).

I won initiative on the first turn and was able to use Collodi and the Marionettes to grab the middle objective marker as well as one of my farther-forward objectives on the first activation.  He came in and killed off a Marionette, failing to kill two of them with an ill-timed Black Joker on the damage.  My Doppelganger, Voodoo Doll (on a Silurid) and Zoraida stuck around the back to hold off against the tide of Archanists that would be trying to destroy all his Evidence markers.

By the end of the game, my Voodoo Doll and Doppelganger (with Zoraida’s Obeys) were able to kill off the Silurids before they finished their job.  He managed to use Marcus to grab a second Objective Marker to get 1 point, got a point out of Power Ritual, and succeeded in Bodyguard, while I swept the markers and got my two schemes as well.  I advanced with an 8-4 victory giving me 3/+4/8 (TP/Diff/VP).


ROUND TWO – CJ (McMOURNING)
SHARED DESTROY THE EVIDENCE
CJ is another newer player, though he has become very good over the last few months.  Since we had the same strategy as before, I took the same crew, figuring on getting a bunch of VPs and trying to win that way.  CJ took McMourning, Dead Rider, Chihuahua, two Dogs, and three Night Terrors.  I took Kidnap on the three dogs (two Canine Remains and Chihuahua) and Steal Relic.  He took Kill Protégé on my Doppelganger and Breakthrough.

I won initiative on the first turn and Collodi did his thing, grabbing the middle objective and then withdrawing to safety.  I dropped a Voodoo Doll on the Chihuahua on the first turn, and he killed off his own dogs for Body Parts, so I was able to grab Kidnap pretty quick.  It was the last time any of his models would die.  I dropped Zoraida by McMourning and tried to steal the relic, but failed.  He Dissected her for 10, and I prevented two of the wounds.

The next turn I won initiative and Zoraida won the Steal Relic, then ran away as a Raven.  Meanwhile, Collodi was gathering all the Objectives for me while the bats were gathering all them for him.

Soon thereafter, though, McMourning killed off Collodi and the Marionettes after he finished off the Doppelganger, leaving me with only Zoraida.  He also summoned a Rouge Necromancy and the rest of the game he tried to chase down Zoraida, but she survived to the end.  We both got our schemes, and I got the center objective marker giving me a narrow 8-7 win.  I was now at 6/+5/16 (TP/Diff/VP).

I figured at this point I would be the bottom of the undefeated players (there were three of us) with my Differential being low at +5.  It turned out the other two, Dave with his Neverborn and Slaz with his Archanists, were both at +4.  I would end up facing one of them.


ROUND THREE – DAVE (ZORAIDA)
SHARED DISTRACT
Dave chuckled as he lined up against me, saying that I knew his crew better than he did.  I finally moved off of Zoraida and opted for Pandora this time around.  I knew he had Lilith and Zoraida as his options, and thumbing through my options, Pandora seemed the safest given the mission.  Zoraida… I was kinda done with her for the night, so she didn’t really fit in.  And Lilith was a toss-up if he pulled Lilith too.  Having played that matchup in the finals at NoVA Open, I didn’t want to risk losing it this time around.

So Dave had Zoraida, Tuco, Lelu and Lilitu (he played down a stone) and I took Pandora, Tuco, Coppelius, Primordial Magic, and a Stitched Together.  My schemes were Kill Protégé on Lelu, and Eye for an Eye.  He took Reclaim Malifaux and Steal Relic.

On the first turn he grabbed five of his Reclaim Malifaux points while I moved up the board in a line, trying to find a good target (hopefully Lelu).  On the second turn I was able to get Pandora around to Lelu and killed him with a series of Self Loathings.  I had to start spreading my crew out a little, not wanting my Stitched Together within 6” of one of my own models, and not wanting Coppelius within 2” of one of my own models because I didn’t want to get Obeyed to hurt my own crew.

I managed to get my Stitched around the corner to Lilitu and kill her off after he had brought his Reclaim Malifaux total up to 7.  Pandora lined up against a Zoraida that had just stolen the relic and blasted her with a (-) flip to DF.  I cheated a 13 of crows, and stoned a 12.  He flipped the Black Joker on resist and couldn’t stop it, so he double-moved back to his board edge.  Coppelius moved in and tried to Paralyze her but failed to do so.

On the next turn, I got initiative and Coppelius channeled his spell to make Zoraida flee.  I cheated the Red Joker to cast it, and Zoraida was out of stones.  The only card that could save her was the Red Joker, and it didn’t come up so she ran off the table.  I brought my crew up together, killed off his Tuco, and then sacrificed my crew for stones to get to Eye for an Eye while moving Pandora into the deployment zone.  Final score here, 8-2 as he got a point each for Steal Relic and Reclaim Malifaux.  My final score came out to 9/+11/24 meaning for Slaz to beat me out for first, he would have to win 8-0.


FINAL RESULTS
Slaz ended up playing to a bizarre 0-0 tie against CJ on the next table over, putting him in second place with 7 Tournament Points and securing my lead.  The final standings ended up being:

Mike (9/+11/24) – Neverborn
Slaz (7/+4/12) – Archanists
Dan (6/+6/19) – Ressers

Dave dropped into 4th place with his loss.  There was also a painting contest in which Slaz took the prize with his Kaeris model.

No comments:

Post a Comment