Wednesday, August 10, 2011

High Level Neverborn-Centric Thoughts of Twisting Fates


I am a Neverborn player and have been since day one. When I was getting into the game, Lilith and her Nephilim horde interested me, quickly followed by Zoraida. I didn’t like her swamp critters so much, but everyone in my group was saying she was the weakest of the Neverborn, so I wanted to try her out.

Eventually, about six months after I started, book two came around and I got a whole slew of goodies. And now book three just came out.

I have to say I’m not overly impressed with Neverborn’s haul. I look at Ressurectionists and just grin looking at aSeamus and aKirai. I think their minions might be on the weaker side of things, but they got some great avatars. Then take aSonnia into the mix from Guild, and toss in aRamos and aColette. Their awesome new Showgirl, and the new toys for Kaeris. The Pale Rider and Exorcist for Guild. Rafkin and the Crooligans.

But when I look over the Neverborn, I’m just left with the feeling of “meh.”

Some of them are pretty good, don’t get me wrong, but overall I don’t feel like there’s really as much exciting this year. More things have me disappointed this time around than things that have me excited.

I’ll tell you what I like:
Avatar Zoraida (mostly)
Avatar Lilith (a bit)
Tuco
The Effigies (most of them)

Even the two avatars I like though are not without their own issues that make me think of them more as a “Yes, but…” kind of model.

I know a lot of my problem is that I am still comparing this book to my excitement from book 2 where I feel that Neverborn got the strongest haul. If the backlash on the forums and the showing at GenCon is any indication, maybe we need to be pulled back a peg. But it certainly is tough when I look at other factions and drool over their new options and look at mine and mostly just shrug.

I'm certain that I'm not getting all the connections for all these models yet. There will be some combinations that pop up that I have not seen yet and they'll completely turn me around on models, I'm sure. But overall, I can't look at Pandora and Dreamer without sighing about what I feel are missed opportunities.

Ah, enough griping. Like I said, book 2 was fantastic for Neverborn and it was probably needed for the game as a whole to have Neverborn step back a little with this release. But I sure wish they didn't have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment