The open beta for Malifaux v2 has finished, and the final
documents are off to the printers. It
should be no surprise to anyone reading that I am happy with the final product
and have moved full into M2E. I have
enjoyed being a part of the whole process, and seeing the number of changes
that came through from the beginning of the open test through to the end makes
me realize and appreciate how much Wyrd listens to their community. Not everyone got everything they said
realized, of course. It’s impossible for
that to happen when often people were saying contradictory things. But overall, the final product looks good, I
believe.
That said, the final product is not without its
flaws. Everything below is my opinion of
course, and you are free to agree and disagree with what you like. But I got to thinking, “It’s easy to complain
about the way M2E turned out. But how
would I have done it differently if I was given full control over it?”
I put together a list of a lot of the changes that M2E
saw. Some I liked, some I don’t. I’m not going to go to the full detail on everything. Instead I’m going to try to hit a lot of the
high-level changes or places that v1 was addressed and see what I would have
done differently.
Upgrades
I’m going to go ahead and assume that upgrades have to be
in the game. It feels like Wyrd was pushing
strongly for their inclusion. If I had
my way, we would not have upgrades, but given the idea that upgrades MUST be
included, what would I have done differently with them? Honestly, I think I would have done more of
them. There seem to be a very small
selection of upgrades, and that leads to seeing the same ones over and
over. I would have liked to see almost
double the number of upgrades. I would
have liked to see each subtype have more than one upgrade to boost the crew,
but only allow one of them to be taken.
So you could take a Zoraida advanced-deploy forest crew, or a Zoraida
super-sneaky forest crew.
I think I would also liked to have seen the Limited
upgrades be better defined. Ideally
there would be about three per master, and each one gives a very distinct
method for playing that master.
Rasputina could have the super-spell one to focus her in one avenue, the
melee one to make her more rounded, or the ice armor one to boost her durability
(the examples may not work out right, but the idea is there). Then there would be the rest of the upgrades
that could fill in the cracks and any version of Rasputina could take them.
As they stand, I just think there aren’t enough options
to really flesh out the upgrades.
Pre-measuring
It’s no surprise that I would not change anything about
it from what we ended with in M2E. I like
pre-measuring. I always have. Keep it and move on.
Card Format
Moving to normal sized cards was a great idea. Not having to laminate all my cards makes me
a happy camper. It was expensive and
frustrating.
I also like that the Master cards are all on one
card. I didn’t like it when Warmachine
moved to the two-card Warcasters.
Strategy / Schemes
I actually like the new scheme setup. I like the scheme pools, and I like the volume
of schemes available. I liked having
faction-specific and master-specific schemes from v1, but the loss of them is
more than outweighed by the gain of the scheme pool.
I have a love/hate with the new strategies. I dislike that there are so few of them. And I dislike that they are not asymmetrical. That said, I think they work well the way
that they are. With the increased focus
on schemes, they fill in my asymmetrical fix.
The idea behind strategies has changed a bit too. They took a page from Gaining Grounds in that
they score at every turn, which I like (though as someone mentioned before, it
does make tracking it more annoying).
And they allow both players to score at the same time, which I like. Gaining Grounds has a binary method of
scoring – if I get a point, you don’t.
To me that felt too forced and reduced the number of things I had to do
during the game – it simplified things too much and removed more of the
asymmetrical nature of the game. By me
achieving my strategy, I automatically stop you from achieving yours. Now, I really have to figure out where my
effort comes in. I have to achieve both
my schemes, stop both yours, achieve my strategy, and stop yours. In order to win a game, I generally have to
win three out of those four slots. In
the past, I had to win two out of the three slots: achieve my schemes, stop
yours, or achieve my strategy. The game
feels like it forces harder decisions on going for tactical positioning, VPs,
or VP denial much more than it did in the past.
One other thing I’ve noticed in the change to allow both
players to score on strategies is that games feel much closer than they had in
the past. Good players will generally
beat not-so-good players still, but there feels more of a challenge.
Extra AP
I’m going to have to part company with Wyrd at this one
as well. It seems that extra AP have
largely been removed from the game, which is a shame, I think. I don’t think there should have been as much
handed out as in v1, but I think there should be more than is in v2. I think there should honestly be a flat
cut-off in stones. Up through 6 stones,
you get no extra AP. 7-9, you get a
conditional extra AP (be that a spell as a (0) like Leap, or taking wounds or
ditching cards for a move, etc.). And
then at 10+, you should always get an unconditional extra AP.
Terrifying /
Horror
Back into Wyrd’s camp, I’m glad to see that Terrifying
has changed from what it was. First, the
rule is much easier to remember now.
Every time terrifying would come up, I would have to reference the rules
manual to remember specifically what happened.
Was I terrified in my activation or out of it? How does that differ? Now it’s streamlined and easier to
remember. It’s weaker than it was
before. And the number of things it
impacts has expanded (Horror targets specific types of models based on the
model that has it, and it says it clearly).
Ranged Attacks
Ranged attacks are an odd thing. Their overall strength feels like it dropped
a little (from a Guild perspective… fewer auto-crits), but the ranges have
increased. Personally, I do not like
snipers that can hit the other deployment zone from their own off the bat. I would prefer to see them shorter range but
with From the Shadows or something like that.
Sonnia and Rasputina saw nice bumps in the ranges of
their spells too, which instinctively I dislike. I liked Malifaux being a melee-centric game
where getting in close was the path to victory.
Now I also understand I am a Neverborn player so my
desire for melee is certainly biased.
And thinking back to v1, I did not find Sonnia, Perdita
or Rasputina to be particular challenges, so seeing their range power increase
makes sense.
At the end of the day, I probably would not have adjusted
the ranged elements much, and I may have been in error not to do so because I
don’t think the adjustments make any of the benefitting masters too
powerful. The spot I would have done
things differently is with the snipers.
How? I think I would have
started by giving them all From the Shadows, decreasing their range to the 16”
area, allowing them all to ignore cover, and letting their focus be treated as
a double-focus, or maybe give them a +1/+1/+2 damage as well when they focus.
Spells as duels
This was a good idea.
Having different duel rules for spells and other attacks was
unnecessary. There are some complaints
about spells still having TNs that must be met, and the wonky interaction
between the spell cheating when you’re not meeting the spell’s TN, but I can’t
figure out how that’s anything other than an advantage to the person resisting
the spell. If I spend a card when you’re
not meeting the TN yet, and you decide not to cheat to meet the TN, guess what…
I stopped your spell. Isn’t that what I
was trying to do anyway? If I don’t
really care if your spell goes off, I won’t spend the card to try to stop
it. Same with other attacks.
Number of turns
Knowing then what I know now, I would have put this
change in straight away. I never would
have thought to do so – six turns felt like something that would never really
be changed – but the fact that they did completely changed the game for the
better for me. No longer am I trying to
kill all your models and then get my objectives. If I try that now, I run out of time. I have to focus on everything all game, which
brings in the tough choices I mentioned earlier of jockeying for position
versus getting VPs now.
Charges
With changes to the extra AP as shown above, I would
leave Charges the way they were. I don’t
like the two attacks on a charge – it weakens a lot of the positioning elements
of Malifaux. If I have a sword that
pushes you away, it’s no longer as useful as you can still just charge back in
and get two attacks.
Soulstones
This is another of those things like the number of turns
that I would never have thought to do, but now that it’s done, I never want to
go back. The number of times a game has
come down to me and my opponent sending our masters at each other, both having
the cheat, and then it just comes down to who flips higher on the stone. And like that… Lilith dies to the Vicks
because two soulstones flipped low for her, even though she should have the
advantage on defense over them.
The counter-argument is that now the game comes down to
who has the higher cheat or the higher stats.
And I agree – it largely does in those situations. But if I don’t have the cheat, I won’t send
my model into the fray. I’ll protect it
instead. If I have a Ml4, I won’t go
after your Df7 even if I have an 11 in my hand.
It’s just poor planning.
Additive soulstones used to be able to mask bad tactics. I flipped better on my soulstone than you
did, so my questionable move worked. No
longer. Now you have to plan things
better and not just hope for a lucky flip.
Effects
Standardizing them as Conditions is a fantastic change. Can’t really argue with that.
Model updating
This is mostly a love.
I initially hated how few abilities there were on models, though once I
started playing them I found that I didn’t really miss much, and the things I
did miss could be bought back in upgrades from the extra stones a game
provided. I think the game needed to
have a lot of its extra rules pulled out.
I don’t understand the whole idea of “the soul of the
model is gone”. I have yet to find a
model that, when its v1 was boiled down, did not virtually match the v2 when
boiled down. In some cases, I feel like
the new version of the model (Lilith, Seamus) matches closer to what the fluff
portrays the character as.
A lot of similar abilities got condensed into a single
rule type, which also helps with not having to remember the minor differences
between the rules. Another plus.
Damage / Wounds
Eliminating the extra step of moving damage to wounds so
that Object and Armor, and various triggers, don’t get confusing was another
good move. It was an extra step that got
added in at some point because of some wonky rules interactions. Better to have it all streamlined.
Game Size
The soulstone size of the game has increased, but I haven’t
been playing with many more models. That
game says it’s based around 41-50 stones or so.
Personally, I prefer playing in the 41-45 stone range, but I liked it
back at 30 stones most before. It feels
pretty similar.
With the added upgrades and increased cost of most
models, I think increasing the stone size is a good move. It doesn’t feel like Warmachine when they
increased the game size going to Mk2 – the game still feels the same size.
A lot of people have been talking about how the game now
encourages swarm-type armies. The higher
soulstone cost, increased focus on interacts, and decreased AP on higher stone
models means that more AP are more useful.
I haven’t found that to be the case necessarily. Starting with 10 models is all fine and good,
except that I can generally kill off one or two of them a turn with part of my
heavier crew, while getting objectives with my other grabbers.
Most models will have about 10 AP a game at most. Masters will have about 15. Looking at it from a pure numbers standpoint
is going to give a false image of the game, I think. If you have 10 models, you’ll have about 105
AP in that game, right? If I have only
6, I end up with 65. That means I’m
going to lose, right? Well, not
necessarily. Some of your models may
have only 4 AP used before they’re dead, and they’ll be dying quicker. And at the end of the day, most schemes will
only need 3-4 AP spent on interacts at most.
There’s not that high a percent of your AP whether it’s 65 or 105 AP max
in your crew.
I may eat my words in the long run, but I don’t see any
more need for swarms now than I did in v1.
Anywho, I’ve said more than I intended. If you’re still reading,
congratulations. I would’ve tuned myself
out long ago. Until next time!









Great write up mate you echo most of what I recorded last night.
ReplyDeleteExcellent post! While I may not agree with everything you posted, you gave excellent reasoning for every point. Can't wait for M2E to release!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Joe and John. Glad you enjoyed the article. I've been thinking over a lot of threads about M2E and heard a lot of people saying they love it and a lot saying they hate it. I'm firmly in the "love it" category, but I'm also not of the belief that everything in the game was done perfectly. Rather than continuing to say that I like the game, I thought it would be interesting to try to qualify what I enjoyed, what I would have changed, and why. A fun exercise.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the good summary! We are on the same page regarding most topics. One point that I strongly disagree with is the Sniper part. I HATED the fact that they ignored cover all day long. Since most of the good range attackers got this (or paired), cover was at the end a practically non-existing rule. Now they have to work for a straight flip if you move your models carefully. This is a big plus for me.
ReplyDeleteGreat break down. Very well thought out and presented. Thanks for your time and views.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this Mike! or is it Dan? (I can never keep you two straight lol)
ReplyDeleteI have been on the fence about M2E, I really want to love it, but there was something about v1 that I really loved: the feel of the game?
After reading your article I have to say, you have me leaning more and more into the love it crew.
Again thank you!
@Csonti - I can see your point there. The problem I find with the Snipers at the moment is that they are still whacked at the kneecaps by Cover most times (Nino, I think, ended up with a (+) flip which essentially allows him to ignore Cover). They're encouraged to Focus, but Focusing doesn't really give them a huge edge unless they find a snipers nest to hide out in during the game. Having a range of the board doesn't help in densely-populated boards. I'd rather cut their range down, let them ignore cover if they want to take lower damage shots, and give them a big bonus if they take the time to Focus one huge shot.
ReplyDeleteI do agree about so many paired weapons eliminating the cover in v1. I'm happy there are so few paired weapons, especially guns, still out there. I wouldn't mind seeing Snipers (how many are there... Hans, Nino, and the Freikorps Trapper?) get something to help with cover.
@Shadowopal - Glad you enjoyed the read.
@John Andrews - It's Mike. I'm the more attractive one. It took me a while to make the push from v1 to v2. Early on, I was largely against the new system, and a lot of it was because of the "feel" of the game. But in playing it more and more, I don't think the feel has really shifted much. It took me quite a few games to re-learn how a lot of the models work. Pandora, for example, was a huge headache for me early on because I was trying to make her work under her old strategies. Once I shifted my mental way to play her, she clicked for me and is a blast.
Some of the older players (I've been here since the first book) have more trouble making the transition, I think, because they've spent years playing and refining old strategies, and now all those old strategies for models are largely out-of-date. People recommend looking at Malifaux as a different game not so that they don't get comparisons between the two, but so that you don't get stuck using old thinking in a new game and wonder why it doesn't work.
Hope you stick with v2 - I personally find it to be a better game than v1 was. Which, to me, is saying a ton because I loved v1 as well.
Mike,
ReplyDeleteYour post really resonates with me because I had a very similar arc to you. And our points of enjoyment are virtually identical some differences we can agree to disagree on. But the game as a whole is better, though as pointed out in the article far from perfect. That mental shift once it happens you really start to dig into this game and see whats there.