Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Assassins Creed 3: The Second Day


I wasn't really expecting to hit each day that I played this game, but so far I've had some pretty bizarre occurrences each day, and I just can't help myself.  I've learned some key things about how life in the Assassin's Creed world differs from that of the real world.

How Not to Get Caught
I was given a mission where I had to sneak through a heavily guarded portion of Boston.  My skills have improved since my first day where I was falling out of trees and jumping off churches (well... I still jump off churches).

I've figured out how to read the screen as I'm going along too.  For example, if Red Coats see something unusual, they'll start to get suspicious and you can watch the bar of their suspicion rising.  Often that's your cue to hide or get out of the way from where they're moving.  I was so excited to have figured this part of the game out that while I was standing beside a warehouse on the docks, I was trying to keep an eye out for those cues.

My friend was with me.  My goals were to keep him safe and keep us both hidden from the enemies.  So sure enough, I see one of those bars start filling up and spring into action.  I turn and start running the other way to get into hiding.

Only my friend was standing right behind me.  So as I turned around and began running, I did what I do to anyone in my way when I start running.  I shoved him hard to my side.  He was standing on the edge of the docks.  I shoved him anyway.  Into the Atlantic.

As I started running, a warning came up saying that my friend had died.  Evidently that was the wrong choice to make.


How to Master the Art of the Assassination
Later, I had a bunch of friends (including the guy who took a drink in the Atlantic) who were disguised as British soldiers and pulling a wagon of prisoners in to a camp to try to infiltrate it.  I was leading the wagon and my friends would rush ahead and lay ambushes for any Redcoats they might see head of them.

It was fun.  I'd sit in the wagon, watch for my allies to get into position, and then shout for them to spring their trap before the Redcoats knew what was going on.  It all worked pretty well.

One time, I had a couple of my guys on rooftops while a Redcoat walked down beside the building under them.  He started to realize I wasn't the normal guy and I ordered my men to attack.  The guy on the rooftop dropped with his knife and plunged it deep into, and killing... the dog sitting next to the Redcloak.  The Redcloak was startled but had the presence of mind to pull out his gun and shoot my friend in the head (he survived the hit - it probably really hit him in the leg).

Sometimes I wonder how my team of ineptitude is actually going to achieve anything in the upcoming war.


Proper Chair Etiquette
Once I got away from the missions in Boston, I started wandering the countryside.  It was winter and snowy, so I figured I was probably cold and when I passed a tavern, I stopped in to warm up.  I muscled up to the bar, but no one wanted to talk to me.  I mean no one.  Weird, right?  Most games I play, I can usually throw the bartender a few gold for a drink or something.  Not in the colonies, evidently.

So I decided to go sit down at a table and listen to the music that someone was playing.  I walked by the table and moved to the chair.  Now I know I can sit on benches - I've done it before - but the best I could manage was standing on top of the chair.

I turned around to leave, but I couldn't!  I was stuck behind the stupid chair!  I finally figured out how to leave by leaping on the table and walking over it until I got to the other side.  Note to self: taverns are for chumps.


Clarity of Directions
Later, I finally tracked down a woman who really did not like me.  I mean, I don't know why she wouldn't.  I've only stalked her for miles through the snow and kept tracking her down.  And insulted her (only out of ignorance).

But finally she was okay with me enough to give me a chance.  So as we stood in the middle of the wilderness, snowcapped hills and forest all around us, she said, "Close to here, there's a hill.  Meet me there."  Then she headed off.

Really?  Close to here there's a hill?  Lady, there are four hills in my immediate field of vision.  You want to give me some more guidance than that?  If it wasn't for the tracker that popped up on my map, I'm pretty sure that would have ended poorly.

 
So my day two of Assassin's Creed went a bit better than my first day.  I am enjoying the game, but I think I'm enjoying making fun of it a little more so far.  Dan and I were talking about the beginning - he's going to be happy to stop playing the British guy and start playing the Native American character.  Personally, I love the British character.  He's got attitude, and he's proper.  It's the kind of roleplaying character I love to play.  Dan, on the other hand, doesn't like all the talking and smugness about him.  I say that's the best part.

3 comments:

  1. Of course you like the stuffy british guy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start playing the game yourself and you'll see how cool he is! Well, maybe you won't. You like all those badass fighter types. Me? I like the talkative proper type. I'd be happy playing the British guy the whole game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this review had me in stitches, the part about the dog in particular. all the assassins creed games are like this. they are just so much fun that you forgive all the terrible AI and bizarre physics flukes that happen all the time.
    i intend to buy this as soon as it comes down in price a bit, and being British myself, i wonder what i will think of the character you talk about.

    ReplyDelete