I have been playing Malifaux for quite some time. Except for the disastrous demo I received
when the game was first released at GenCon, I’ve enjoyed pretty much all of
it. A shout out to Slaz and Dan for
making me pick the game back up and give it another try as my interest in
Warmachine was waning with the advent of the new version.
In all that time, I have tried out a bundle of different
masters (and henchpersons). Some of them
only got a couple games before being shelved in favor of other options. Others I borrowed to use. Three masters I ended up picking up for one
game only during the Pied Piper tournament.
But of the masters I have used most often, here’s how I rank them:
Zoraida – My first and favorite master. She used to be considered the worst of the
Neverborn masters and that underdog feeling made me really enjoy playing
her. Plus, she could do everything
pretty well. I’ve gone through many
phases with her, from using Obey tricks, to using maneuvering tricks, to even
putting her in combat for a few games to get her poison on people. Some of my favorite stories in the game
revolve around Zoraida. Like when she
obeyed an opponent’s Executioner to kill his Governor’s Proxy on turn one, and
then cheated to fail the resist that killed the Executioner too. Or when she walked up to one of the opponent’s
models that was holding a treasure and politely Obeyed that model to hand the
treasure to Zoraida. Her avatar has just
made her even more fun, allowing me to switch to a more offensive version of
her if I need to. She can work with
virtually any crew and help them all.
And no one seems to expect big things from her. But she does deliver.
Lilith – She stands as the only master I’ve played more
often than Zoraida and she sits just below her in terms of my favorite masters
to play. She’s a challenge to make her
work well with her crew, but on her own she’s a wrecking machine. Like Zoraida, she can function fine with just
about any crew. She doesn’t actually
need Nephilim to work well. But she has
a nice variety of lists she can pull.
She hits hard, she moves fast, and she has more tricks to her than most
of the other melee masters. I love her
ability to withstand enemies too.
Recently I threw her into a melee with Avatar McMourning, Adam, and a
Rouge Necromancy and she killed all three of them, taking only 2 wounds in the
exchange (I had already run McM out of stones, so that helped). Beautiful!
McMourning – This guy has been just a bundle of fun as I’ve
been trying out Ressers. I’ve played him
almost as many games as I’ve played Pandora, which, given how little time I’ve
owned McMourning versus Pandora should tell you something. I like that he sits on a different end of
melee power from Lilith. With Lilith I feel
like I can toss her into just about any situation, McMourning takes more
finesse. He’s got to pick his battles
more carefully, but he can wreck face when he does. And if things are looking tight, he can
always summon in a Flesh Construct or Rouge Necromancy to handle things. I’m really looking forward to Adam coming out
this month. He’ll be making an
appearance very soon.
Viktorias – Let’s face it, these girls really are
Neverborn in disguise. They move fast
and they hit hard. Really hard. People seem to forget just how hard these
girls can hit. And with two of them,
they’re beyond crazy. If you get a bunch
of Masks, you can just whirlwind your way around an entire crew, cutting them
down one at a time. I don’t rank them as
highly because I’m not as big a fan of their supporting models as I am the
Neverborn and Ressers.
Kirai – I feel like I’m cheating when I take her. But playing her successfully feels like
conducting a perfect dance (I know people say that about Colette, but I’ve
never played her). You’ve got dozens of
models sitting on the table, each doing their specific things and working
together to bring down death. More than
any other crew, Kirai has the synergy I love.
Stuff dies and makes spirits, which kill more stuff or are sacrificed to
make more spirits, which continue this crazy cycle that your opponent can’t
really stop. On good days, I walk out of
the game with more points in models than I started. And her ability to score victory points with
objectives is just insane. There’s a
reason I think she’s the second best master.
And were Archanist schemes for Colette not so easy to get points with no
real contention, Kirai would take the top spot.
Von Schill – I know he’s not really competitive, but what
can I say, I like the guy? I think it’s
the fact that, of all the lists above, I have no ranged lists. And Von Schill is a pretty solid crew to use
ranged attacks for. I like the Trapper a
lot. I think the Specialist, if you get
the right game, can be really fun. (Just
don’t play him against a crew with Obey).
The Librarian is good too as a healing battery. Overall, I think the crew is probably one or
two models short of being viable, but for now they make a fun match when I’m
just trying to get an entertaining game in.
Avatar Seamus – I have to specify the Avatar here,
because I don’t care for the original Seamus and only ever take him with his
Avatar. Doesn’t mean I rush to Avatar
him, it’s just that I really like his Avatar form. Honestly, it’s the reason I picked up Ressers
in the first place. Seamus himself is
decent with his gun, but I always feel like I’m not using him to his
fullest. Once I go to Avatar Seamus,
though, the fun really begins. Pounding
folks, scaring folks… how can you go wrong there?
Dreamer – Honestly, I’m a little surprised he ranked this
low on my favorite masters. I think my
biggest gripe with him has been twofold: first, people tended to groan when I
pulled him out (except my most common opponents, who were much happier to see
me with him than with, say, Zoraida).
Second, his crew selection is fairly limited. Since his errata though, I’ve been more
inclined to get him on the table. It
just took me a long time to remember to print out what his new rules were so I
didn’t play him incorrectly. He may hit
the table a bit more often, and he’ll probably climb up in rankings now that I
don’t have people groan their way through a game against him, but for now he’s
here.
Pandora – Okay, she is probably the best of the Neverborn
masters, and I am fairly good with her when I play her (got to be careful not
to say I’m great with her or Aaron will challenge me to another game and punch
me in the face). When I play her, the
game largely feels like solitaire. What
my opponent does usually doesn’t matter much. I just bounce around the board wherever I
like, zap whatever I like, and hide away safely. It’s just not really that much fun.
Collodi – This ranking will change soon, I figure, what
with the Effigies coming out. My biggest
feeling about Collodi is that his options have been really slim until the
Effigies hit the stores. He has only a
few models he can take, and his extra soulstones are so high, that usually I’ve
taken all his Marionettes, all his Stitched Togethers, and as many Wicked Dolls
as I could fit. Why? Because that’s what was available. But now with the Effigies, I think I can do a
lot more with him. They’re not
Insignificant, so they can get a little away from him. And now my options have moved beyond a ton of
small attacks or a few big WP-based attacks.
I can try to be trickier with him.
That said, I love using Collodi as a henchman. When it comes to grabbing objectives, very
few do it better.
Nicodem – I know he’s really good. I know Dan has proven time and time again that
the internet is wrong and that Nicodem will eat you if you’re not careful. I just don’t get him. To me he feels like the Zoraida of the Resser
crew – he’s deceptively powerful and until you see someone who finally figures
him out, you’re going to be stuck thinking he sucks. I just haven’t taken the time to learn how
best to use him.
Hamelin – I hate Hamelin.
I hate playing Hamelin. He’s
labor intensive to play and pretty boring for both sides of the board. It’s a real shame because I love the concept
behind him. But the rats are annoying,
and his Insignificance-making is annoying, and I just don’t like him.
So there we have it.
My list of masters, favorite to least.
I’ve played each of these ones at least a handful of games. Ones that I’ve played that didn’t make the
list were Kaeris, Ramos, Marcus and Lucius.
I just don’t feel like I’ve got enough a handle on them. Though from my initial game or two with them,
I’d put Lucius up near the top, Marcus in the middle, and Ramos and Kaeris near
the bottom. If I were to get into Guild,
it would be grabbing Lucius, no question.




I actually often describe the 'faux as a dance, regardless of Master. I think it is more apparent in some, but I think it's there in all of them.
ReplyDeleteI think I like the term because it implies a certain synchronicity to movements that speaks of a greater pattern. Additionally, it has a 'lighter' feel to it than plodding up the board. And I think that as people get better at Malifaux, they learn to step more lightly, as it were.